45. Affairs of Late

''Keep breathing.''

Rhaenyra gasped for breath as she pushed and pushed. Her breathing rapid.

"And push."

Rhaenyra groaned out in agony. Vaera held tight to her hand. She felt like her hand was going to break. They were finally in a good place again, a decent place and Vaera was going to end up with a broken hand, maybe this was just another way of Rhaenyra trying to punish her.

"And again.'

"I c... I can't." Rhaenyra whined.

"Come on you are the strongest person I know after Harwin. Who could probably lift Calypso if he tried." Vaera blabbered on and Rhaenyra groaned again. "Right not the time." Vaera agreed

''Push!'' the midwife demanded. But her mention of harwin only made rhaenyra more nervous.

''The head!'' another midwife declared kneeling between Rhaenyra's legs. Rhaenyra kept pushing, moaning and groaning in agony but it was almost done, it had to be.

''A boy, Princess.''

"Nyra another boy!" Vaera declared hugging her sister gently.

''Praise the Mother!'' The baby's cries rang out.

"Ahh." They placed the boy in Rhaenyra's arms, she smiled down at him, another boy. "Healthy?"

" Kicking like a goat, Princess." They assured. Rhaenyra had but a fraction of a moment before the door opened.

"Oh, handsome fella." Vaera said kissing Rhaenyra's temple. "You did so good."

"Princess... the Queen has requested that the child be brought to her... immediately." Elinda one of Alicent's handmaidens informed her.

"Tell the queen to fuck off!" Vaera hissed.

''Why?'' Rhaenyra said with a groan. Elinda just stared back at her holding out her hands for the babe. ''I'll take him myself.'' Rhaenyra said stubbornly.

"Fuck that." Vaera hissed. "Tell the queen that she is a bitch and I don't care." Vaera told her. "Go on, tell her. Tell her if she wants to meet the newest addition to the family then she gets her ass here."

"Princess...'' Elinda said nervously.

"I will take him." Rhaenyra assured.

"Nyra no." Vaera begged.

''You should remain abed, Princess...''

''Yes, I should!'' Rhaenyra spat. ''Help me dress.'' She struggled she felt the blood dripping between her legs. ''Ooh... Mmm...'' Rhaenyra froze her face pinched her lip quivered.

"Sit down, rest. I can take him to father I wont let her hurt him." Vaera assured.

"Vee... take the babe." Rhaenyra whimpered. But another burst of pain erupted through her and she held tight to her crying baby.

'Princess... your dress?''

''Mmm." Rhaenyra tried to hush her crying babe as she the pain erupting in her stomach.

''Princess? Oh, it's coming. The afterbirth!'' Rhaenyra doubled over groaning.

"I hate the after birth." Vaera agreed. Rhaenyra took a deep steading breath as she righted herself and walked on shaky legs to get to the opposite end of the castle. Vaera held tight to Rhaenyra as they walked.

"She is cunt and I'm going to have her head." Vaera hissed. "Let me help you." Vaera begged.

''A boy. I've just heard.' Laenor said happily as he approached.