9. Jerk

''Nyra is going to be wed." Vaera remarked as they sailed. It was two days to driftmark but she could have flew there faster. She leaned up against the ships railing watching the waves.

"That she is princess." Criston agreed. He glanced back at the crew but they werent looking at them. He wrapped an arm around her and she snuggled into his side. He wrapped his cloak around her kissing her cheek he felt her smile against him.

"I want to kiss you so badly right now." Criston whispered against her.

"No ones looking." Vaera remarked not bothering to check if that statement was true or not. "Kiss me."

"Vaera!"

Cristons mouth opened but it wasnt his voice that came out.

"Where is my vaera?" Viserys questioned and criston pulled back. She sighed but smiled back at her father. "Oh there she is. Are you sea sick too my love?"

"I dont have my sea legs yet daddy." Vaera remarked. "Ser Criston needs to hold me up," vaera instructed grabbing hold of him.

"What a good knight you have my girl." Viserys remarked.

"The best."

+

The seas were ragged and rough as they sailed to driftmark. King Viserys groaned out as he vomited over the edge of the ship. The rain was falling hard as the thunder rumbled on.

"We should just go back!" Vaera suggested.

"We are going to Casterly rock after Rhaenyra is wed, love." Viserys told her.

"What?" Vaera questioned Harwin turned to her sensing worry.

"Vaera love... you are going to be wed as well." Viserys said softly he hated saying it.

"What!" Vaera shouted. "No... no you can't ship me off, don't do this!" Vaera demanded. "What did I do?"

"Nothing my love." Viserys said stumbling back into a seat.

"Daddy no!" Vaera begged.

"Baby this is not a punishment." Viserys assured.

"It sure as hell feels like it." Vaera spat. "Don't let him do this." Vaera declared clinging to Harwin.

"What's happening?" Criston questioned.

"I wont go." Vaera declared gripping tight to Harwin. He wrapped his arms gently around her.

"Lord Tyon Lannister. He's not much older than you, heir to Casterly rock... it's a fine match." Viserys told her.

"NO!" Vaera declared.

"Whats going on?" Rhaenyra questioned seeing her sisters teary eyed face. "What happened?"

"Father... is sh-shipping m-me o-off." Vaera stuttered through sobs.

"Father!" Rhaenyra shouted.

"You act as though this is a surprise." Viserys said softly he looked quite green. "He will be invited to Rhaenyra's wedding and you can meet him and see he isn't-'

"I don't want to leave home!" Vaera shouted. "I don't want you leave you or Nyra. Don't do this!" Vaera begged still slinging to Harwin. "Don't let him."

"You..." Viserys coughed out as he leaned back. "Vaera love... it will be moons before-''

"NO!" Vaera shouted, burying her face in Harwin's chest. Criston watched her, finding comfort in someone that was not him, it hurt.

+

''A moment. I do not wish to see you go.'' Alicent said running up to her father.

''Such is the King's decision.'' Otto reminded her solemnly.

''A decision I most bitterly regret.'

''And yet, you made it possible. You chose Rhaenyra.'' Otto reminded her.

''She swore her innocence, and I believed her.'' Alicent retorted

''You wanted to believe her, as did her father'.

''Your informant was wrong. An honest mistake, perhaps, but I did not foresee this!'' Alicent countered

''You should have.'' Otto warned

'If you had not been so relentless in advancing Aegon as heir!' Thunder rumbled as the rain poured down around them.

'Listen to me, daughter. The King will die. It may be months or years, but he'll not live to be an old man. And if Rhaenyra succeeds him, war will follow, do you understand? The realm will not accept her. And to secure her claim, she'll have to put your children to the sword. She'll have no choice.'' Otto warned her and Alicent started to whimper 'You know it. You're no fool, and yet you choose not to see it. The time is coming, Alicent. Either you prepare Aegon to rule, or you cleave to Rhaenyra and pray for her mercy.'' Otto hugged her goodbye before he headed off.

+

'' Where is Lord Corlys? He should be here to receive the King.'' Lyonel demanded.

"Maybe he realized what a jerk you are!" Vaera countered as Rhaenyra grabbed her hand gripping tight to her.

"Vaera love." Viserys pleaded but she wouldn't look at him.

''Welcome to High Tide, Your Grace.'' Laena remarked as she came down the steps to greet them.

"She had a growth spurt." Vaera hissed. "She is going to age quickly and poorly. Her poor husband to be." Vaera muttered.

"Hush." Rhaenyra said through a laugh.

''What is the meaning of this, Lady Laena?" Lyonel shouted through the rain but Viserys was too tired and too weak to deal with such nonsense today. ''Is this how House Velaryon greets its King?''

''My father has but just returned from his long journey and he has hastened to the Hall of Nine to await Your Grace's arrival.''

''Let's just get on with it.'' Viserys said marching past. "Vaera love-"

"Don't talk to me until you have something useful to say." Vaera hissed.

"Vaera!" Viserys called weakly.