13. Shindig

"Vaera... princess..." vaera turned around fixing her necklace centering it on her chest. The one Harwin had given her. He held his hand behind his back as he walked the room towards her. Harwin stared at the necklace a moment longer as her hands fell to her side.

"You ready for this shindig?" Vaera questioned innocently. She looked up at him waiting and he was going to confront her. Ask her why she let Criston... why did what they did surely he heard on the ship cristons confessions but he didnt say anything instead a heavy sigh filled him. "Harwin?"

She stepped closer and looked up at him with those puppy dog eyes. How could he even be mad? She wasnt his. Not really. He loved her but criston made the first move. Harwin could have. Should have. Wanted to. But was trying to respect his oath but vaera was perfect.

He pulled his hands out from behind his back. Vaera's smile widened.

"Every celebration should begin and end with a cookie.'' Harwin remarked holding it out for her. She got on her toes and kissed his cheek.

"You are break bones no more" vaera declared. "You my handsome Harwin are now the knight of cookies." Vaera informed him breaking it in half for him.

"Sharing your cookie with me?" Harwin remarked taking a bite. "You must like me."

"No Harwin." Vaera said heading towards the door. "I dont like you. I love you." He stared back at her as she walked out the door. "Close your mouth" she called back. "I dont want crumbs on my floor." Harwin licked at his suddenly dry lips and followed after her.

+

''It is with great pleasure that His Grace, King Viserys, announces the start of the royal wedding celebrations. House Lannister with their lord, Jason Lannister. Lord Paramount of the West, and Master of Casterly Rock. House High tower with their lord, Hobert High tower. Beacon of the South, Defender of the Citadel, the Voice of Old town...'' Harrold announced.

''Congratulations, Your Grace. You have made a fine match for the Princess both princesses.'' Jason said as he approached.

''Thank you, Lord Jason. I could think of no better man than Ser Laenor.'' Viserys said with a chuckle.

'Well... if this is only the welcome feast, I admit, I cannot imagine what you might have planned for the wedding.'

''Well, my daughter is the future queen. I wanted this to be a wedding for the histories.'' Viserys reminded him.

''Where is the Queen? I had hoped to pay my respects.'' Jason offered looking down the table.

''I understand the Queen is still readying herself for the celebrations." Viserys informed him. 

"This is why men wage war... because women would never be ready for the battle in time.'' Jason remarked with a chuckle

"Jason, your cousin, Tyon... where might he be?" Viserys questioned and Jason gave him a stiff lip. "He is to marry my Vaera."

"Of course..." Jason turned nodding to Tyon.

"My princesses, your grace." Tyon said and Vaera had to admit he was handsome. "So lovely to meet you, I hear we are to be wed, it is an honor and a privilege." Tyon told her Vaera and she nodded offering him a small smile but her gaze shifted to Harwin. "Perhaps we could have a dance tonight?" Tyon offered and Viserys nudged Vaera discreetly.

"Yes." she said in a small voice. "That would be... nice."

"Wonderful." Tyon agreed.

"Not too late to chance your mind." Jason offered smugly.

''Your presence is always such a pleasure, Lord Jason.'' Rhaenyra remarked stiffly.

''Princesses... Your Grace.'' Jason said annoyed as he left.

"He is handsome and he knows it." Rhaenyra whispered.

"Jason? Then you should have accepted-" vaera began with a laugh and Rhaenyra pinched her.

"Tyon." She corrected.

"He is handsome." Vaera agreed.

"He seems the type of man to have a mistress of two." Rhaenyra told her softly as she brought her glass to her hips.

"Perhaps I need one or two of my own." Vaera countered and Rhaenyra chuckled into her glass.

"Anyone in mind?" Rhaenyra mused.

"Yes." Vaera confirmed and Rhaenyra's eyes went wide as Vaera broke off a cookie licking her lips of crumbs with the smuggest of smiles.

''Your Grace, Princess Vaera, Princess Rhaenyra, congratulations are in order.'' Gerold remarked coming up to them.

''We are very honored to have you as a guest, Ser Gerold.'' Viserys agreed ''I must say, I was most distressed to hear of the Lady Rhea's tragic passing. I'm very sorry for your loss.''

''Lady Rhea was a unique character. Her kind... is not soon to be seen again.'' Gerold told him

''If there is anything the crown might do to aid House Royce...''

''Lord Corlys of House Velaryon. Lord of the Tides, Master of Driftmark. And his lady wife, Princess Rhaenys Targaryen. And their son and heir, Ser Laenor Velaryon, the future king consort.'' Harrold announced as the drums beat.

''My Betrothed. My Betrothed.'' Laenor said happily.

"My betrothed, he is really selling it." Vaera murmured, Rhaenyra pinched her hip silencing her.

''Be welcome, as we join together in celebration. Tonight is only its beginning. We honor the crown's oldest and fiercest ally, House Velaryon. Reaching back to the days of Old Valyria and the Age of Dragons. With House Targaryen and H...' Viserys began but the door swung open and stopped him mid speech the guests started murmuring, loving a good gossip.

''The King will not be happy.''

''Right in the midst of his speech.'

''The beacon on the High tower, do you know what color it glows when Old town calls its banners to war?''

''Green.''

"Bitch." Vaera muttered. "How disrespectful." Vaera remarked softly as she looked up at her father.

Alicent walked forward her dress a deep green as she kept her head held high as she approached the table making her way to Viserys' side.

'Congratulations, stepdaughter. What a blessing this is for you.'' Alicent remarked as she kissed Viserys cheek lightly.

''Please be seated.''

'Where was I?'' Viserys said with a soft cough. Vaera glared over at Alicent.

"Cunt wives?" Vaera questioned smugly and Alicent turned her harsh gaze to Vaera. "Oh. Did I say that out loud?" Vaera mused. "It's not like we all aren't thinking it." Vaera added softly.

'The joining of the two houses, Your Grace.'' Lyonel remarked his words blocking out Vaeras from the rest of the room. Viserys nodded patting Vaera's shoulder.

'Yes.' Viserys cleared his throat. 'Yes. With House Targaryen and House Velaryon united, I hope to herald in a second Age of Dragons in Westeros.'' The crowd broke into an applause and cheers. ''And after tonight's small affair... Seven days of tournament and feasting. At the end of it all... At the end of it all, a royal wedding... between my daughter, my heir... your future Queen... and Ser Laenor Velaryon, the heir to Driftmark.'' The drums picked up again as Viserys finished.

"Good luck, don't step on his feet." Vaera whispered as Rhaenyra got up.

"Love the confidence." Rhaenyra muttered as she moved to Laenor. ''I was never much of a dancer.'' Rhaenyra remarked as Laenor offered his hand and lead her out for their first dance to set off the night.

''It's not much different to combat.'' Laenor informed her.

''Hm, I shall hope for a different outcome.''

Vaeras gaze shifted to Criston across the hall watching her silently.