11. Shit Proposals. Where are the Cookies?

Devotion/ Game of Thrones out now!

''Viserys has taken to bed while his ship is readied.'' Rhaenys said as she approached her husband.

'Perhaps I... overextended myself? Pushed him too close to the edge?'' Corlys countered thinking of their talk

'My cousin chose to sail into this tempest, husband. It was undignified of the King to drag himself here and beg for Laenor's hand.'' Rhaenys retorted happily.

''Where is Laenor?'

''He and Rhaenyra are walking the coast.''

''Good. Do they seem... familiar? They grew up together.'' Corlys questioned

''Familiarity is not at issue.'' Rhaenys reminded him.

''Oh, I'm sure Laenor was already taken with her. She's grown quite comely these last few years.'' Corlys offered.

''You know his true nature.''

''He's still young. He will outgrow it. There is no pleasure in the world like... bedding a woman.'' Corlys told her happily.

''We are placing our son in danger.'' Rhaenys reminded him.

''The lords of the realm bent the knee to Rhaenyra and swore obeisance to her.'' Corlys reminded her confidently.

''That was before there was a true-born prince named Aegon Targaryen. Rhaenyra's succession will be challenged.''

''Knives will come out for her, her husband, and for their heirs. Our house controls the realm's navy and half its dragons. Anyone fool enough to challenge Rhaenyra's claim will be crushed.'' Corlys told her with the utmost confidence.

''To what end, Corlys? Wealth? Power? Pride? Justice.''

''By all rights, you should be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. You were robbed of the crown by-' Corlys began.

'I never wore the crown because the realm would not have it so.'' Rhaenys reminded him bitterly.

''And I would remedy that... small-minded error by any means necessary-'

''I myself have put the business behind me, Corlys.''

+

''I've always feared the day you'd have to marry a woman. And now it comes. Your betrothed gives you leave of her own free will to continue partaking of. Was I the duck or the goose?'' Joffrey questioned smugly as he kissed at Laenors chest.

''I've come to meet my fate and you make a jape of it?'' Laenor countered pushing him away.

''Look, Rhaenyra will be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and you will be her king consort.'' Joffrey reminded him. ''Think of the tournament, the feast, the battles at sea. Will you wear your crown today, Your Grace?'' Laenor chuckled

''You're a fool.''

''You will need a sworn protector.'' Joffrey reminded him flipping him onto his back.

''Mm-hm.'' Laenor agreed happily.

''Well, this is better than we could've hoped for. She has a paramour of her own.''

''I wonder who it is.''

+

''Did sleep flee you as well this morning?'' Vaera offered as they had set sail for home. She couldn't sleep, her mind racing with the uncertainty of the future, her kiss with Criston... her night with him. She knew they needed to talk about it.

''I needed to see you, Princess.'' Criston remarked approaching her slowly, a plan, a mission on his mind.

''I confess I had a similar desire.'' Vaera admitted. She thought much about Criston, since her time for love was coming to an end once she was married to Tyon Lannister.