15. Death Takes a Holiday

Start from the beginning

"Locals are saying it's a miracle."

"Okay," Dean and Cataleya said.

"It's got to be something nasty, right? I mean, people are making deals or something."

Dean and Cataleya considered his words before Dean asked, "You think?"

"What else would it be?"

Cataleya shrugged. "We don't know."

"All right." He put his laptop in his bag. "Get those to go."

Dean looked down and didn't move.

"Come on," Sam told him as Cataleya stood.

Sam stood and picked up his bag. Dean didn't move except to chew. Sam and Cataleya looked at him as Sam swung his bag over his shoulder. "What?"

Dean looked up and kept chewing, then glanced away and back and said, "Sure you want me going with you two?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't want to be holding you back or nothing." He turned to Cataleya. "Whatever we are... I don't want you to hate me."

"Dude, we've told you a hundred times, that was the siren talking, not us," Sam told him. "Can we get past this?"

Cataleya nodded. "I don't hate you, Dean. Not anymore."

Dean put down the burger. "Yeah, we're past it." He brushed off his hands.

JENKINS' HOUSE

The hunters were sitting with Jim in the dining room.

"Now, you three said you were bloggers?" Jim asked, sitting across from Sam.

"Yes, sir," Sam replied. "Floored by the Lord dot com."

"All of God's glory fit to blog," Dean added while Cataleya nodded.

Dean grinned and Cataleya smiled faintly.

Sam glanced at the two and cleared his throat. "Um. Some of the people around town are saying what happened to you was a miracle."

"It was," Jim answered. "Plain as day."

"How can you be so sure?"

"How else do you explain it? The doctors can't."

"There's a bullet in my heart, and it's pumping like a piston."

"Well, how do you explain it?" Dean questioned.

Jim hesitated and looked at his daughter. "Look, honestly. I was nobody's saint - not exactly father of the year, either."

"Okay."

"But when that guy shot me and I didn't bleed a drop? I just knew the Lord was giving me a second chance."

Cataleya raised a brow. "That so?"

"I had this feeling - like angels were watching over me." Jim paused and Dean and Kennedy nodded. "I wouldn't expect you guys and lady to understand."

"Well, we'll just have to try," Dean said.

"You wouldn't have happened to have swung by a crossroads in the past week or so?" Sam asked.

Jim frowned, confused. "No."

"Maybe you met someone? With black eyes? Or red?"

Jim leaned forward. "Who'd you say you guys were again?"

Dean looked at Sam and Cataleya. "Never mind. Thank you for your time." He got up and his brother and Cataleya followed.

MOTEL ROOM