FIVE.

FIVE. killer quest!

the lightning thief !

PRESENT

IT WAS EARLY THE next morning that Jude was asked to come to the pavilion so that Percy could choose who to bring with him on the quest. While Jude would love to go with him, he was almost positive that Percy would pick someone else considering the fact that Jude wasn't really good at anything but using a bow and arrow.

But, nonetheless, he did as he was told and was standing underneath the Gazebo with a few other campers.

"The Oracle has confirmed what we expected," Chiron explained to all of the campers that stood before him, Percy and Mr. D by his side. "That this quest will proceed toward the Underworld, where you will confront the god who had rebelled against his brothers." Percy's eyes scanned each of the campers in front of him, his mind racking through any and all information as he also thought about what the Oracle had said to him. "Hades."

"The entrance to hade's domain lies under the city of Los Angeles." Jude had only ever been to LA once, and that was because his dad got bored one day and dragged him along with him on the multiple day road trip. "This is where you will journey to." Chiron told Percy, the blonde looking up at him in genuine confusion. "Time is short."

Jude nodded his head at that. He had overheard a little bit of the quest from Chiron, and when he learned that it had to be completed in just a week, he felt overwhelmed even if it wasn't his quest.

"I have selected our most compelling candidates, from which you will choose three to join you on this quest and ensure that we succeed."

"Annabeth and Jude." Percy said immediately, and Jude was almost knocked off his feet when he heard how confident the boy was with his answer. Jude raised an eyebrow and looked at Percy, as if he were telling him to rethink his choices. "Customarily, one waits to at least hear a name or two before choosing. Are you sure you don't want to hear more?"

Percy furrowed his eyebrows and let out a breath. "This thing, Zues's master bolt, we need to get it back, right?" Chiron nodded along with those words. "And it's gonna be hard to get, yes?" Percy asked another question and Chiron nodded yet again. "Extraordinarily." Jude felt a shiver roll down his spine at the sound of that.

"And if the mission required someone to push me down a flight of stairs or doing anything if they believe it's the right thing. . . you'd want someone who won't hesitate when they do it." Chiron raised an eyebrow at the details of his decision, but turned to face the campers.

"The first two quest-mates shall be Annabeth Chase and Jude Bellerose!" Jude didn't even care too much about his chance to go on a quest, he was beyond happy for Annabeth. She has been waiting for this for years and this was finally her chance.

He couldn't contain the smile that grew on his face.

"Now, on to the other candidates." Jude realized Percy wasn't listening at all when he saw the boy's blue eyes staring directly at him. Jude would usually feel uncomfortable if anyone was staring at him, regardless of who they are, he conjured a bright smile.

It didn't take long before Percy returned the smile, finally looking away when Chiron called his name, wondering which of the other candidates he would like to bring along.

"I want to bring Grover with me, is that possible?" Chiron looked almost unimpressed but not shocked about the boy's answer. He pursed his lips and clasped his hands together. He looked between the two that had already been chosen, and then to Percy, and it almost looked as though he wished he could intervene. "The final quest-mate shall be Grover Underwood!"