TWO.

TWO. watercolor eyes

the lightning thief !

PRESENT

"GET UP! GET UP!" Said the voice that unfortunately woke Jude Bellerose that morning. Begrudgingly, the boy peeled his eyes open and came face-to-face with the joyful persona of Magnolia Cha. "Mags, what in the heavens are you doing in here?" He asked her, rubbing the haze of sleep from his eyes. His eyes took a minute to get adjusted, and the brightness that radiated off of Magnolia—not literally—didn't help.

"Well, for one, it's time to get up anyway," she gestured to the bright sun rays that cascaded through the windows and Jude pursed his lips. "And two?" Her usual bright smile found its way onto her face. "There's a new camper! Rumor says he took down a minotaur last night?" Jude almost jumped three feet in the air at the sound of that. Everything good always happens when he's asleep.

"You said what now?!" He exclaimed, jumping out of his bed and reaching for his belongings. Magnolia nodded excitedly as she turned around, letting Jude change into his jeans in some privacy.

"That's what I said! Apparently right before him and Grover got to camp safely, a minotaur appeared and attacked them. I think the kid ended up ripping of its horn and killing it with it." Jude yanked his shirt onto his body and got up, tugging his boots onto his feet while hopping on one leg. "Is the kid okay?" Jude truly didn't care about anything else. Maybe it was the southern in him, but he cared more about people than other random nonsense.

"More than okay! I think Annabeth thinks he's the one." Jude furrowed his eyebrows as he thought for a minute, then he remembered Annabeth, a beautiful girl his age, also the daughter of Athena, had been trying to find this so-called demigod that would accompany her on a quest. She even thought it was Jude for a while. She was quite disappointed to find out that it wasn't.

To be honest, he didn't know what the quest had in store, and he wasn't sure Annabeth did either, but the girl was eagerly awaiting the arrival of a certain demigod. "Well, what are you waiting for! Let's go!" Magnolia grabbed his arm and started to drag him out of the cabin. The two of them practically tumbled through the woods, Magnolia giddily spewing out facts that she knew about the boy so far. He was Jude's age, probably the same height as well, and he had blonde hair and blue eyes.

Jude didn't bother to ask why she knew all this.

When the infirmary came into view, Jude's mouth fell open. He quickly jerked his head to look at Magnolia, who was still dragging him along. "Y'know, when you said he was fine, this ain't what I had in mind." Jude gestured to the infirmary and Magnolia shrugged her shoulders. "I promise you, he's okay. I asked Chiron and Grover."

Jude shrugged and continued to allow himself to be dragged by the happy girl, and soon, the two of them were standing in front of a blonde boy, who was shrugging on a jacket, and Grover, who had a solemn look on his face. "Hi!" Magnolia greeted as soon as she saw the new face. Jude cleared his throat to try and get her to notice the sad atmosphere, but sad did not exist in Magnolia's dictionary. "It's lovely to meet you! I'm Magnolia and the one beside me is Jude!" Jude pressed his lips in a thin line and gave the blonde a careful wave, suddenly feeling the tense atmosphere.

"Did you really fight a minotaur? I mean, how cool is that?! Do you still have the horn? Or did it get evaporated with the rest of it?" Jude winced when the boy just rushed out of the room instead of answering any of her questions. "Oh. . . Maybe now's not the best time for that, huh?" Magnolia didn't let it get to her and still smiled.