Chapter 21

Tristan awoke with a flinch to something brushing against his face. He started to reactively bring a hand up, but he paused when he heard giggling. Tristan opened his eyes to two familiar faces looming over him.

Kit and Willa.

"It's time to wake up! Grandma says you have to go." Willa said excitedly. Tristan groggily glanced at the window. It was light out. He furrowed his brow with confusion. How long had he been asleep?

"And guess what? Grandma says I can go with you!" Willa squealed. Tristan looked at her.

"What?" Tristan asked. His mind was having trouble catching up.

"To Adalwolf! She said we will all go to visit great grandma for a while." Willa squealed happily.
Tristan looked at Kit. He looked grumpy.

"I can't go." He said.

"When did she say this?" Tristan asked as he ran a hand over his face and rested it over his eyes. The grogginess was fierce.

"Yetsurday. Emmet, Faye, James, Millie and Willa are going with you. Alpha Ada says it would be good to have some time away." Kit said. Even in his tired state, Tristan immediately read between the lines. His mother probably wanted them away from their father...

"And Kit said Dena went to find mommy! She left this morning!" Willa said excitedly.

The grogginess left him. Tristan's eye snapped to her.

What?

"Kit said you found me a mommy." She repeated. Tristan just stared at her, before he looked at Kit.

"I just told her your gifted is nice and pretty." Kit said guiltily. Tristan rubbed a hand over his face again. The emotions of that hit him strangely.

Dena left already? What time was it?

"I hope she will be nicer then your other one. She keeps coming to ask if you're awake yet." Willa said. Tristan looked at the window again.

She keeps coming?

"How long have I been sleeping?" He asked, and it wasn't until that moment he became very aware of his overfilled bladder. Especially as Willa hopped on top of him to sit on it.

"Like... days." Kit said.

Shit...

He really slept that long? Tristan gently set Willa aside and shoved up out of bed. He fumbled for a moment and nearly fell when his foot got caught in the blanket. Both kids laughed.

Out in the hallway, he came face to face with his mother.

"You leave in an hour." She said, but her attention was on the two pups behind him.

"Willa, go find Charlotte... and Kit, you should be with Mark." Ada said scoldingly. She waited for both pups to run off under her stern gaze, before she looked back at him.

"You slept for nineteen hours. I worry for you... have you truly been sleeping so badly?" His mother asked. Tristan said nothing. What was he supposed to say?

No, he hadn't.

Ada sighed deeply and pinched her brow. She truly looked stressed.

"How is he? Is he better?" Tristan asked hopefully. Ada met eyes again.

"He's back on the ama, but I wouldn't say he's better. I am afraid we will be living separately from now on." Ada said with a careful tone. Tristan studied his mother. She revealed nothing. The Alpha in her was good at that. Putting on that mask.