Chapter 9

"He's a lot worse," Lottie said worriedly. A heavy silence followed her words. Tristan could feel the tension in the room.

"He just needs time..." Ada finally said with a sad tone. Tristan was staring at the window as he tried to calm his wolf. He felt antsy.

"Can you give him something?" Cal asked. Lottie's eyes were suddenly on Tristan, he felt it. He didn't return her look.

"Yes, but it would be temporary. He will just be numb." Lottie said with a frown.

"The other Alphas cannot see him like this, especially not Arthur or Cecil; they would see his weakness as an opportunity," Sawyer said firmly. Tristan grit his teeth.

Dammit...

"Will it work by tomorrow?" Cal asked. Lottie was still staring at him, almost judgmentally. Tristan had a feeling what her look was about.

"Yes, if I give him a large enough dose. The question is whether he will agree to take it, you know our father and his stubbornness." Lottie said as she looked at Cal.

"What are you going to give him?" Sawyer asked.

"Ama," Lottie said, and her gaze once again shifted to him. Tristan met her gaze this time.

"What would it do to him?" Grady asked.

"I told you, numb all his emotions, especially his wolf." Lottie said.

"And what kind of side effects?" Dena asked. Tristan was feeling more and more uneasy.

"It varies. Some have mild issues, others more serious." Lottie said.

"Worst case scenario then," Sawyer added.

"He could be numbed permanently, have a personality change, anger mostly, but that's more if it's taken long term. Short-term use shouldn't have anything significant happen. But I'm also not sure what this large of a dose will do; I've never had to dose for an Alpha wolf before either..." Lottie said with an uncertain tone. A brief silence followed. Tristan looked at his mother. She seemed deeply contemplative.

"Do we have any other options?" Jay asked.

"The early death of a gifted isn't something we have a lot of study with, especially not for an Alpha. This is the only thing I can think to try." Lottie said as she cast a saddened look at their mother.

"We tried to have him take it back home, he refused. I feel like he is willingly punishing himself." Ada said with a distressed tone. Tristan focused on his mother. She looked worn and sad.

"Maybe he will be more willing now. Especially knowing the other Alphas will see him this way." Sawyer suggested. Ada sighed deeply.

"I don't know... he doesn't see it. He thinks we were all overreacting when we tried to talk to him." Ada said.

"Then we don't give him the option," Sawyer said with a hard tone. Nearly all eyes were on him.

"It's only for tomorrow... then we can figure something else out," Sawyer said. Lottie looked deeply uncomfortable.

"I'm not going to drug my father... my Alpha, without his consent," Lottie growled. Tristan glanced back to the window. They were still in the pack house dining hall. The walls were insulated and soundproof. It was to double as their meeting room.

"I'll talk to him... and try to convince him to try it," Tristan spoke up.

"Fine... but if you can't, we have to give it to him anyway," Sawyer said as he looked to Ada. Tristan looked at his mother as well, but her eyes were on Sawyer.