Chapter 13

Lo fidgeted with the hem of her shirt as she stared out at the sun rise over the lake. Edith and Lottie were quietly chatting in the kitchen, but Lo couldn't focus on anything they were saying. She'd barely slept that night. She just kept going over and over Rafe's conversation in her head.

He clearly knew something she didn't. It was bothering her...

... as was the realization that the winter wolves were still looking for her mother...

What would they do when they found out she was gone?

Lo quickly closed her eyes and took a slow breath at that thought.

She didn't want to feel sad now...

"Lo?" Edith's voice made her snap her eyes open and look up at her. She hadn't even realized she'd moved over.

"How about we go get some air and tend the garden?" Edith asked gently. There was a look of sympathy on her face again.

Lo was starting to hate them looking at her like that...

Despite wanting to say no, Lo nodded and forced herself to stand. She knew it would be better then sitting there fretting.

And the day went by before she knew it. Keeping her hands busy helped keep her mind quiet. And Edith ensured she had a lot to do, Lo knew that was by design.

But the plants moved from her mother's garden were not doing well.

Lo frowned as she gently stroked a browning leaf between her fingers. Her mother always managed their garden so well, but the plants were clearly doing poorly after the neglect and the move. Lo glanced over the rest of it with a disheartened look.

She had tried all her mother's tricks to revive the dying plants in the last few days, but none had worked. Her mother always seemed to have a green thumb, Lo was always amazed what she could do.

If she was here... Lo knew she could fix this.

Clearly Lo had not inherited that gene, and now she just felt even more downheartened when she realized most would likely not survive... especially with them so weak with the winter around the corner.

Her mother valued them so much...

"It's a shame... I'm sorry." Edith said from above her. Lo glanced up at her from her kneeling position. Edith was surveying the garden box.

"We may need to plant a whole new crop in the spring. But maybe it's for the best... I've found that the males aren't great at tending things, and when we leave it would have been left to them. Maybe we should pot what we can and bring it with us, I have a large green house at home they may do better in." Edith said sympathetically. Lo looked back at the row of plants and just absently nodded.

Being reminded they were leaving gave her another strangely nostalgic feeling.

Both joy and sadness.

"EDITH!" A male voice shouted from somewhere nearby. Both Lo and Edith glanced over.

Lo was amazed for a moment how much it didn't startle her like it would have just weeks earlier. Maybe all of Edith's tactics were working...

A male came running around the corner a moment later.

"Rebecca is in labor." He frantically spat out, clearly out of breath. Edith glanced back to the clinic. Lottie was already at the doorway looking out at them.

"Where is she?" Edith asked calmly. Lo stood up as well.

"She took off into the forest..." He said worriedly. Lo stared at the male uncertainly.