Chapter 18

Lily couldn't help but glance back into the woodland. A strange and sentimental feeling suddenly flowed through her, deep inside her chest.

It hurt her heart, but not in a sharp way. It was like a deep ache.

"Lily, take this." Sil said. Lily looked back just as Sil shoved her backpack into her arms.

She watched Gila and her both start pulling large branches and leaf cover off the big lump of a thing that sat beneath a large tree in a dense spot of bushes. Finally she could see some kind of canvas beneath. They pulled that off too with the rest of the foliage cover. Lily blinked at it.

She'd never seen anything like it...

Gila clicked a button and the squeak of the door opening set Lily's nerves on edge. She cringed. Sil folded the large canvas as Gila got into the plush chair at the front. Lily looked at the thing and canted her head as she fully studied it.

It was the color of the sky, with windows all around. Lily slowly moved forward and tentatively touched it, but immediately yanked her hand back.

It was cold and hard as a rock.

Lily looked up at the window again, and was surprised to see her own reflection so clear. Lily had never seen herself aside from the reflection in the lake. She glanced over at Gila, and that's when she noticed the shiny thing sticking off the front. She was even more startled to see the reflection even stronger in the small round thing.

She couldn't stop herself from going over to it.

"What is this?" Lily asked. Gila patted her head as she slipped out of the seat, but Lily couldn't look away. She didn't realize how light her eyes were.

"It's a mirror." She said. Lily glanced over at her as opened a side door and removed Imee from the pouch at her chest to lay her inside on a seat.

Sil opening more squeaky doors at the very back stole her attention then. Mia, Rin and she started to shove all their supplies in. Lily quickly went to hand her the bag she still held as Gila yanked a large sac from beneath the seats and unzipped it.

Lily stared in confusion as she started pulling out clothes the likes of which Lily had never seen. And then she pulled out what looked like severed scalps. It startled Lily the most.

She was dropping things into piles inside the floor of the van.

"Humans don't have hair like us. It draws attention. Yours will too. We have to wear these. They are called wigs." Gila said when she noticed her expression. Lily blinked at her.

"What is it?" Lily asked. It smelled... different. Was that what humans smelled like? Gila was focused on sorting things, until she finally handed her a brown one. Lily nearly dropped it.

It was weird... and the hair felt stiff.

"These should fit you, put these on, it's what they wear. We will have to get you shoes later." Gila said as she handed her a bunch of fabrics. Lily felt bewildered for a moment as she watched Gila and Sil start to dress. Lily looked at Rin and Mia as they too grabbed the clothes Gila had put out for them.

Lily hesitated, before stripping and trying to figure out how to put the things on. She glanced at Gila and Sil as they effortlessly put one thing on after the other until they were tucking their hair up into the wigs.

They were fully dressed and Lily had barely started. Sil sighed and moved over to her.

"Turn around." Sil said. Lily did as she said, just before she forced one of the fabrics over her breasts. Lily jumped.