Chapter 8

Lo sat still as Edith cleaned the wounds on her back and shoulder. She barely felt them anymore, with all her other emotions she'd nearly forgotten they were even there.

"Much better, you won't need the bandages anymore," Edith said warmly as she set some clean clothes out for her on the bed beside her.

"You really need to shift today... it's been too long. We can go for a run by the river." Edith suggested. Lo picked up the shirt and quickly slipped it on, making it clear what she felt about it.

She knew she should, she felt her fur side already restless. That other side of her needed release... but she felt hesitant.

She knew her wolf wanted so badly to be close to her mate. It was supposed to be beautiful and special, she could feel it so deep inside her that maybe it still had a chance to be, but it had all gone so wrong. And the uncertainty of the future was weighing on her.

She didn't know if she could truly let that raw side of her take control without the potential risk of feeling driven to seek him out. She was young, but even she knew fighting herself this way was not healthy...

Edith's fingers were suddenly beneath her chin lifting her face to make eye contact with her.

"What's holding you back sweetheart? You have Alpha blood, wolves with alpha blood need to shift more than others. Trust me. It will make you feel better too." Edith said. Lo studied her face. She didn't know what her own expression showed, but Edith seemed to understand. She sighed deeply.

"It will just be us; then we will head to the clinic to get everything sorted... is that okay?" Edith asked. Lo hesitated. She still wanted to say no... but just like everything now, she doubted she'd have a choice, so she reluctantly nodded.

But something immediately bothered her. Lo glanced at the window. It was headed into late morning.

How had she forgotten? They mentioned it last night...

"Weren't you supposed to leave this morning?" Lo asked quietly. Edith paused. She had an odd expression on her face.

"We have to delay for now. Possibly through next week. Some things have come up, nothing to worry about." Edith smiled, but Lo felt immediately like something was off.

She kept quiet though.

Edith hesitated for a moment, and Lo felt her studying eyes. Lo knew what she was doing.

Edith was trying to press her to speak. Edith's words of not using silence as a self-defense came back to her.

But some habits were just too hard to break...

Edith sighed and gathered the supplies and headed back into the front room. Lo finished dressing and reluctantly followed her.

Dena was kneeling in front of her pup, Miles.

"Be good little buddy," Dena said as she nuzzled and kissed his face. Lo couldn't help but notice how fit she was, more so than their kind's natural affinity to be toned and hard bodied. Dena looked on the border of being masculine while still maintaining feminine curves. She'd never known a female to be like that.

Though she also knew the females she had grown up around weren't exactly healthy... most looked more thin than fit. Her mother was often encouraging them all to eat more.

"Gus will pick him up at the clinic before dinner." She said as she glanced at Lottie. Lottie just gave her a slight wave over her shoulder as she continued doing the dishes. Dena glanced to her next and gave her a slight smile, before she headed out the door, immediately shifted and took off running.