Nursery

"You know.. I didn't think it'd be this hard" Murtasim muttered

He stood in an empty room with his wife. They looked around at the plane walls, the bare floor. A blank canvas for them to decorate as per there heart's content for their daughter.

Their minds too, however, seemed to have gone absolutely blank.

Meerab hummed "itna mushkil nahi hai... thoda sabar karo.. idea aa jayega"
(Its not hard..it'll come to us.. just be patient)

They had ventured into the room an hour ago, excited at the prospect of decorating their baby's room, hoping that they'd be inspired with ideas once they have a good look at the area.

An hour later. They were still waiting to be inspired.

"How about.. pink for the walls?" Meerab suggested

"Tsk too basic"

"Red?" He countered

"Are we building a sex dungeon?"

"Yellow?" She replied

"No"

"How about beige?"

"I'm sorry is our daughter a 70 year old man?"

"Tum he socho pher!" She snapped, rejection always stung, even if it were for paint colours.
(Why don't you come up with something then!)

"Idea toh hai ek vaise" He quipped
(As a matter of fact, I do have an idea)

"Ji shauhar sahab, farmaiye"
(Go ahead husband, I'm all ears)

He rolled his eyes at her sarcasm.

"You know.. most parents baby room baby ke aane se phele ready karte hai... humara baby toh humare saath hai.. usse se he pooch lete hai usse kaisa room chaiye?"

(You know.. for most parents this part comes in before the baby is born. But Meesam is already here.. we should just ask her what she likes)

"One case of blue balls and you're suddenly the smartest man on earth. Badi kaam ki cheez hai ye toh" she laughed
(Hmm I could make use of this every once in a while)

"Chup karo yar!"
(Oh shut up!)
~~

Soon enough, Murtasim sat down cross legged on the floor with Meesam seated comfortably on his lap.

She looked around the empty room and thought nothing of it. Just content at being included in whatever game her parents seemed to be playing.

Meerab sat down in front of her husband and daughter and meticulously placed shade cards on the floor between them

"Meesam, aapka new room hai ye.. acha laga?"
(Meesam you're a big girl now. So this will be your new room. Are you excited?)

Meesam's nose immediately scrunched up in disgust.

The room was plain and bland. Sooo not her style.

"Naaiii ...ganda" she humphed as she tried to wiggle out of her baba's grasp and run away.
(No.. its bad)

But Murtasim held firm, not letting her budge.

"Meesam abhi room ready nahi hai.. isme aapki saare favourite toys daalni hai.. aapko nahi chaiye?"

(But Meesam... the room isn't even ready right now. We want to fill it with all your favourite things. Don't you want that?)

Her favourite things? A room full of them?

That got her attention.

"Aur?"
Her eyes sparkled with interest but she didn't say anything else, waiting for her baba to continue on the bargain he was pulling.
(And..?)