The Wait

"She's going to be just fine you guys. There is nothing to worry about. We've given her some medication. You guys take her home by morning. Just make sure no strawberries in the future alright?" the doctor reassured them.

Meerab let out a sigh of relief and Faarukh and Saba smiled at each other.

"Vo theek hai? Kya hum mil sakte hai usse please?" Meerab asked.
("She's fine? can we see her please?")

"Vo abhi bhi so rahi hai laken haan aap mil sakte hai. Ek nurse abhi kuch der mai aapko aapke beti ke room mai le jaygi aap wait kare" with that he nodded at them and walked away.
("She's still sleeping but yes you can meet her. A nurse will guide her to your room shortly")

Murtasim felt relief so intense he stumbled back a few steps until his back collided with a wall. He felt like the weight of the world was lifted off his shoulders, like he could finally breathe without getting a stabbing pain in his chest.

He was all too aware of the adrenaline wearing off his body. He didn't feel as numb anymore, could feel his heartbeat pounding through his ears and the tears he'd been trying to control for hours finally slipped out.

He felt himself sliding down the wall as he covered his face with hands and sobbed.

"Murtasim" Meerab gasped as she rushed to him. He burried his face in her neck.

"Sh- shukar shukar alhamdulillah" he gasped out and cried harder.
("Thank god")

"M-mai bhaut dar gaya tha Meerab. Agar aaj usse meri vaje se kuch ho jata toh meri jaan chali jaati" he cried. His words muffled, too quiet for anyone but to hear but Meerab. She rubbed his back trying to console him. 
("I was so scared Meerab. If something happened to her because of me I swear I might have died")

"Theek hai vo aab Murtasim. Tumhara koi kasoor nahi hai" she looked up to see a nurse walking towards him.
(Murtasim she's fine now. Its not your fault)

"Lets go meet our baby alright?" She held his hand and pulled him up.

Murtasim couldn't bother to wipe his tears anymore. No matter what she said, he knew he was at fault and his heart wouldn't be at peace until he had his daughter back in his arms.

He nodded and stood up. They walked towards Meesam's room, hand in hand, her grip on his hand never faltered for even a second.

~~

They walked into the room and Murtasim felt is heart clench. Meesam looked so tiny and fragile in the huge bed that he almost cried at the sight.

She looked fine now, were it not for for the painful looking IV drip attached to her hand one would assume she was just sleeping.  Another tear rolled down his cheek as he walked up to her and kissed her head. Whispering a small prayer for her. Meerab walked over to the other side of the bed and kissed her tiny hand. She sniffled and smiled softly at Meesam while caressing her head. They stayed like this for a few minutes, in complete silence, taking it all in.

Murtasim looked like he had aged five years in a matter of hours. Meerab knew he was still beating himself up for what had happened and nothing she could say would make him feel better.
So instead she got up and walked over to him.

"Utho" she said.
("Get up")

Murtasim looked up at her confused.

"Utho aur jaake uss sofe pe bheto"she said again, more firmly this time.
("Get up and sit on that sofa")

Murtasim opened his mouth to protest but he knew better than to argue with her right now.

He sighed and sat on the sofa.

After the End (Tere Bin) (ON HOLD)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara