Sneaky

Murtasim sat Meesam down on the centre of the bed.

He glanced at the clock.
It was 6 pm. They had a few hours to go kill before her bed time.

"Hmm bas mai aur aap ho aab.. toh pher kya plan hai aaj ka Meesam?" He asked in jest
(Hmm its just you and me now..
what to do with you today Meesam?)

Meesam crawled over to his lap, her head rested on his chest. For a second he thought that she wanted to cuddle.

His heart warmed at the notion, but then he felt her stubby little fingers make their way in his pockets.

Phone. She was trying to get his phone.

Not even 2 years old and this girl was already trying to trick him.

"Meesam aapko baba ka phone chaiye?" He asked as he pulled his phone out from his other pocket.
(Meesam do you want baba's phone?)

"Cocomelon" she squealed in response as she tried to grab the device from him.

Murtasim moved his arm up, the phone just an inch out of her reach each time she tried to grab it.

Impatient, Meesam stood on his lap, and tried to take the phone, only for Murtasim to stretch his arm further up, out of her reach.

"BABA" she complained, agitated at not getting what she wanted.

"Meesu mama ne mana kiya hai" he tried to reason like an adult.
(Mama said no screen time Meesu)

But his 22 month old toddler wasn't having it.

Her eyes began welling up with tears and Murtasim panicked a little bit. Less than 10 minutes since he'd been left in charge and he'd already managed to make her cry.

Great.

'Illusion of choice' He remembered his wife's advice.

"Meesam aapko abhi sona hai ya bahar khelne jana hai?" He asked
(Meesam, do you want to go out and play on the swings with Baba or sleep early?)

Meesam's ears picked up at the sound of the word play. The choice was simple.

"Jhoola!" She ordered him as she excitedly climbed off the bed and began running out of their room.
(Swings!)

"Ruko beta shoes toh pheno phele!"he yelled after her, only for her run faster and scream 'no' in return.
(Wait! Wear your shoes first)

Murtasim sighed. Looks like he had a long night ahead of him.

~~
After another 15 minutes of pleading Meesam to wear her shoes and the duo finally made their way outside in their backyard.

Meesam was already running to the plastic jungle gym and swings while Murtasim at himself down on a lawn chair to keep a watchful eye on her.

Murtasim signed as his body finally got some rest after what had been a pretty exhausting day at the gaon. It was only 7 in the afternoon, and he could already feel the sneaky claws of sleep trying to pull him under.

But his daughter had enough energy for the two of them. Running around and screaming in the house all day hadn't seemed to tire her up in the slightest and before he knew it, he was asking calling for Feena from the kitchen.

"Ji Khan Sahab?" She mumbled, her head hung low in fear and respect
(Yes Khan?")

"Mere liye ek coffee la dijiye"he said.
(Please get some coffee for me)

His gaze trailed to his daughter, only to find her standing atop of the small slide. She had made a tower of tiny pebbles right at the end of the slide, she laughed out loud as she slid through and her feet immediately toppling the tower in process.