The Enemy

Shahnawaz Khan has raised a lion for a son. Till his dying breath he had time and again reiterated how proud he was of his Murtasim. Always responsible, dependable, never caused any trouble. Salma Begum didn't call him her 'sher beta' for nothing. Her son had lived up to that name in every way. The man was a wall. Unflinching in the face of adversity. Strong, resilient, brave.

But if there was one thing that Murtasim was scared of. It was needles.

"Meerab I'm scared" he whispered to his wife as they drove through the busy streets of Hyderabad.

She couldn't help but scoff.

"Tumhe thodi vaccine lagva rahe hai?"
(But you're not even the one getting vaccinated!!)
"Haan...magr meri choti se beti ko toh laga rahe hai na" he reasoned
(Yes. My daughter is. Thats worse)

"Would you rather she gets chicknpox when she's older? Thats much worse and painful!"

Couldn't argue with that logic.

He sighed, admitting defeat.

As they reached closer to the pediatrician's clinic Murtasim couldn't help feel anxious.

He knew he was being silly but he couldn't help himself. He had absolutely abhorred going to the doctor when he was a kid and he still did. The thought of someone poking needles in his body just icked him out

He was sure Meesam was going to hate it too. What child likes getting shots after all?

The three of them made their way inside the clinc. Meesam was immediately enamoured at the brightly coloured walls and toys that filled the place. She wiggled in her mothers arms, demanding that she be let down so she could run around and explore.

Meerab and Murtasim sat in the waiting area, keeping a watchful eye on their daughter who seemed oblivious to the pain that would soon be inflicted on her.

In about 20 minutes a nurse walked up to them and singled for them to follow her.

The paediatrician, a kind looking middle aged woman, greeted them with a warm smile as they walked in. Meesam clung to a stuffed toy she found at the play pen. A tiger.
Of all things. Of course she'd pick a tiger. She was her father's daughter after all.

~~

The initial checkup went like a breeze. The doctor sure had a way with kids. Not once did Meesam cry or be scared. Murtasim could see why she was the best in town.

"So Mr and Mrs Khan, Meesam's reports are absolutely normal. She's progressing well for her age group. Dare I say a bit too well. She's definitely on their above average range for speech and dexterity"

Murtasim chest puffed up a little, and Meerab cleared her throat, trying to get her husband to stop grinning like a fool.

"Thank you doctor. Is there anything else we should be on the lookout for?" Meerab inquired.

"No, nothing alarming. I guess we'll just give her her scheduled vacation dose and then you'll be good to go"

The atmosphere in the room shifted as the doctor brought up the dreaded topic again. Murtasim gulped and held Meesam a little closer.

'Here goes nothing' he thought to himself as he made his way over to the patient's chair and sat Meesam down on his lap.

He watched intensely as the nurse took the syringe out and fill it up with medicine.

"Doctor are you sure this is the right size? Isn't it a little to big for a person this small?" He enquired, trying to act formal when he was really just scared