Dreams

Salma Begum had dreamed of being a grandparent ever since Murtaism turned 20 years old.

It was the moment when she first saw her son take the lead in a panchayat when it had hit her...that her baby boy had become a man, that he'd soon get married and start his own family. Somehow the fact didn't upset her as she had thought it would. On the contrary, the prospect of having a little one running around the Khan Haveli again filled her with unparalleled joy. She had always been too busy tending to her Khanam duties when her own kids where growing up, was never able to give them as much time and attention as she'd wished to... So she knew she had to make up for all the missed opportunities when Murtasim's child was born.

Meesam was exactly like her father was when he was younger. Chaotic, naughty, loud. Always causing trouble, but still an absolute delight to be around. Her presence filled Salma Begum with an odd sense of calmness. Like everything was in place. Her family was complete and most importantly her son was finally happy.

As Salma Begum carried a cranky Meesam through the hallways of her home at 3 in the morning she couldn't help but cuss out at her son.
The child was the centre of her parents world, both were content on spoiling her rotten and it seemed like that was finally coming back to bite them.

Meesam had been too long without her mother. Her father's presence, though comforting, didn't make her miss her mother any less. Throughout the week the poor kid would cry for her mother and only her son could calm her down. He'd play with her, distract her with cartoons, video call Meerab...though she suspected the he did the last bit more for his own sanity than his daughter's.

"Beawkoofo ne bigad ke rakh diya hai bachi ko, ma baap ke bina sona hi nahi hai bilkul bhi" she muttered as she made her way to her son and daughter-in-law's bedroom.
(Fools have spoiled the little girl. Cannot even spend a single night without her parents)

Murtasim and Meerab had reached home only a few hours ago, long after the household had retired for the day. The drive from Karachi to Hyderabad was long and taxing. They had ventured into Ma Begum's room and Meerab had peppered Meesam's face kisses. After that they went straight to bed to catch up on some much needed sleep.

But Meesam woke up in the middle of the night and started crying for her parents, leaving her dadi with no other option but to take the kid back to her parents.

Salma Begum paused outside their door for a few minutes, making sure they were indeed just sleeping. After making sure she heard no noises from the room she slowly walked into their dim lit room.

She smiled softly as she saw the two of them passed out cold on the bed. They were facing each other, their hands entertained, her son's other hand placed on his wife's hair as if he fell asleep caressing her head.

She scoffed, they acted like two teenagers in love, even in their sleep apparently.

"Murtasim utho" she shook him, trying to wake him up.

(Murtasim wake up)

"Sone do na ma sahab" he grumbled as he snuggled deeper into his blanket
(Agh let me sleep Ma)

"Ofho murtasim utho na" she tried again but no no avail. Just as she was about to move over to Meerab's side. Meesam decided to take matters into her own hands.
(Just wake up already!)

"Mama Baba" she cried out to them, she leaned over to reach them. almost slipping out of her dadi's grasp.

That got her mother's attention.

"Meesam" Meerab said, still half asleep, her eyes barely open. She held her arms wide open, waiting for Ma Begum to hand her daughter over.

Meesam calmed down as soon as she was in her mother's embrace. Meerab, still not opening her eyes, placed her child in the middle of the bed and covered her in the blanket.