Waves

Warning: Slightly Mature!

~~
They'd spend a good part of the hour going through the pictures. Meerab explained everything to him sparing no details and he listened with rapt attention, almost feeling like he was in the moment with her.

They were having their dinner, making pleasant conversation when the shrill sound of her phone broke them out of their reverie.

She gasped as she looked at the notification.

"Its from the admissions department" she whispered excitedly.

Her excitement was almost infectious, Murtasim felt his stomach tie up in knots in anticipation.

But she kept staring at phone.

"Kya hua?" He asked, sensing her hesitation
(What happened?)

"...darr laag raha hai" she squeaked, her eyes shone with vulnerability he'd scarcely seen before.
(I'm scared)

His hand found hers. "Kis cheez ka darr?"
(Scared of what?)

"...selection nahi hua toh?... mai nahi dekh sakti isse you open it" she tossed her phone at him and hid her face
(What if its bad news?...I can't do this you open it)

Murtasim let out an amused chuckle.

"Maine phele bhi kaha hai aur aab pher keh raha hu..they'd be fools not to select you Meerab"
(I've said this before... they'd be fools not to choose you)

He opened the email and looked at her.

Her face was still buried in her hands, occasionally peaking at him through the gaps in her fingers.

He sighed and put the phone down.

"Meerab idhar dekho" he said gently.
(Meerab look at me)

She hesitantly looked up.

"Agar yaha admission nahi hota toh hum kahi aur try kare ge hmm? Pakistan mai ache law schools ki kami nahi hai"

(Even if you don't make the cut, we'll try elsewhere okay? There are hundreds on good law schools in Pakistan)

"Magar ye program perfect hai mere liye. Muje tumhare aur meesam se door bhi nahi reahna padhta"

(Yes but I really had my hopes set on this one. Its a good program AND I get to stay with you and Meesam. It was perfect)

"Bas ye baat hai? Mere aur Meesam ke vaje se apne sapno ki qurbani maat do Meerab. Jo bhi hoga.. tum jaha bhi jana chahogi muje koi taqleef nahi hai. Hum figure out kar lege yar" He said in earnest

(Is that was this is about? Staying back with Meesam and I? Don't put restrictions on your dreams because of us. Meerab we'll figure something out.)

"Aur vaise bhi... hum ye kyu assume karke chal rahe hai ki tumhara admission nahi hua hai? Phele hum mail toh pardh le" he said and with that he opened her phone.
(And anyways.. why are we assuming you haven't got in? Lets read the mail first)

She straightened and held her breath

Murtasim cleared his throat and began reading out loud..

"Ms. Meerab Murtasim Khan"  he glanced up and gave her a cheeky smile

"We are delighted to inform you that you have been selected in-"

"I GOT IN" she squealed cutting him

"You got in" he laughed

She all but jumped in his arms. Murtasim reciprocated with equal fervour, holding her body tight against his.

"Nai lawyer banu gi" she mumbled against his chest
(I'm gonna be a lawyer)