13 - Thirteen - Nikita Russo's Point Of View.

Viktor drove quietly while I played with his radio stations in the car. I wanted to drive, but I didn't bother asking because he wouldn't let me, anyway. He didn't let me before when we were together.

"What have I done now that warrants the frown you're wearing, Kita?" Viktor said, using that nickname, the one I both hated and cared for.

"Must you call me that?" I complained.

"Of course I must. I gave you that nickname, therefore I will use it." Viktor said, stopping at the traffic lights and setting his right hand on my thigh.

"Are you trying to get me to hit you this early in the morning?" I muttered, turning to glare out the window.

"At least wait until your hand is properly healed. I'd like if you were going to get to hit me, that it at least counts. Who knows if you're going to get the chance to do it again?" he chuckled, like I hadn't threatened him with physical abuse. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, not responding. Viktor laughed again and patted my leg before pulling away when the light turned green.

"I honestly don't understand you." I huffed. Getting out my phone, I checked for places to eat around us. "Where are you interested in eating?" I asked.

"Don't worry, I have a place in mind," he said, smiling, and that didn't make me feel any better at all. If anything, it just seemed like a trap. Groaning, I let him take me wherever he wanted. I was just hungry now and wanted something to fill up my stomach before the real fighting started, because I was starving.

He pulled into the parking lot and got out first. Coming around, he opened the door for me and closed it behind me. The place he took me looked like just a regular coffeeshop and I could smell the food as soon as I got out of the car.

"Avoid the sausage here, unless you like spicy food." Viktor said, leading me inside. Looking around the inside, I suppressed the urge to sigh.

"Of all the places you take me somewhere that you launder money, sei stupido....." (you stupid.)

"Hey, the food here is good, I promise. I wouldn't take you here unless I was sure you would like it," Viktor said, for once his face actually looked truthful.

"Next time I get to pick the place we eat. You coming here makes this whole thing look shady."

"Relax, Amore. No one knows this place is even owned by me."

"You.... ugh. Nevermind. I'm too hungry for this right now." I muttered and found a place to sit down.

"I'll order for you. Stay here." Viktor said and draped his jacket over the back of the seat. I nodded and went to the counter, and I watched cars passing outside the window, not really even paying attention to his words. He set my drink down in front of me, and I looked up at him.

"You looked deep in thought?"

"I was letting my mind wander." I confessed, not exactly sure why I felt I could at that moment. This man had backstabed me and my feelings before. This would be no different, married or not.

He leaned in closer and I looked away, my heart pounding in my chest. He gently touched my arm, and I could feel the warmth of his fingers on my skin. I took a deep breath and looked up at him, and I found him smiling back at me. "I'll be back in a few minutes. I have to grab our food."

He slipped into the back, and I let out a long groan. I took a deep breath and looked away from the door. I had to keep my thoughts in check. I couldn't afford to make the same mistake twice. He truly would shatter me this time if I let him.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I yanked it out. Hitting the side button, I had a message from Lev. Opening it up. All it said was that we needed to talk as soon as possible. It was important and related to Viktor. I sent him a text back with the word 'call?'. He was quick to respond with 'visit.'. That meant this was something that couldn't be spoken about where it might be tracked by any sides.