Chapter 5

Not knowing what would happen, Suzume squeezed her eyes shut and instinctively raised her arms. The pain she had expected, however, failed to materialize several times, so she slowly opened her eyes again.

"I...Izuna..." the Uchiha breathed as she saw the boy standing in front of her and recognized how he had opened his reddish eyes and protected her.

As if by magic, her heart began to race as she realized what had just awakened Izuna. Without a doubt, it had been the Sharingan, which he could awaken through his feelings.

Something that also seemed to surprise Madara when he looked at his little brother. "Izuna, your eyes." he addressed the younger boy, who seemed to have a puzzled look on his face for a moment. "What about it?" he asked his older brother, forgetting at that moment what had happened.

"You've awakened your Sharingan." Madara said, looking at Suzume, who could barely move. How could it be that this little maid could be the trigger for this? After all, she belonged to a lowly family and had no right to interfere in his family. So what had prompted Izuna to save this girl and awaken her Sharingan in the process?

"You could have hurt her!" scolded Izuna a few seconds later. "So? She's just a maid..." Madara said simply, having been in a rather bad mood since her last encounter with Hashirama.

"She's not just a maid, brother!" Izuna shot out, causing Suzume's eyes to widen. "Whether you like it or not, I like Suzume and she's a friend!"

"But...Izuna...I can..." Suzume began, wanting to simply interrupt and suppress this feeling, this bond. Never would his father allow her to be treated differently from others.

"What are you saying?" Madara asked, slightly angry. "You do realize who she is, don't you?!" he asked the younger boy, who was holding his own quite well.

"Yes, but I don't care!" Izuna replied boldly. "I know she's something special, even if you can't see it!"

Moved by this, Suzume bowed her head. She would never have expected Izuna to protect her like that. A boy who had chosen her as a maid and given her work. A son of the chief who had been feared by many Uchiha.

Not even her father would ever have dared to say anything against him. He always did what he was told. And he would certainly soon be a victim of this too.

Suzume didn't even want to know what it would be like to die in a war. A war that would never end if no one gave in.

She could only hope that at least Madara or Izuna had been smart enough to take a step into the future. A future without hatred and war. Something Amaya Uchiha had fought for years ago to protect her family as best she could.

But at the time, Suzume didn't know what she was destined for.