Chapter 2

Suzume sat silently on a chair while her mother got her ready. The Uchiha combed through her black, slightly blue hair and tied it up in the traditional way. The little girl was dressed in a blue kimono, which was tied with a red and white ribbon.

Suzume had been prepared for several days to behave traditionally as a maid. The reason for this was that all higher-ranking Uchiha would have their own maid. And since Suzume had been the right age, she would stand in front of them like many other girls and hope that she could be taken.

As it had been in the past, the women were seen as housewives. They didn't have much to say and did what was asked of them. Something that, according to the stories, had made Amaya Uchiha special.

Suzume endured the whole procedure and was escorted to the square a little later, where several Uchiha were already gathered. Her dark blue, almost black eyes focused on the small platform on which several young girls were already standing. Many of them looked a little older than Suzume herself. They were probably those who had been given the privilege of looking after their own families for a little longer.

"You'll manage." her mother said with a smile, before pushing her daughter forward a little and slowly placing her on the pedestal.

At that moment, Suzume felt like an animal that had been put on display. Slightly amused looks could be seen, although some had not been interested at all. It was a depressing feeling to have to stand here.

"Make way for our chief!" shouted an Uchiha who was one of his guards, which was why many of those present had kept their distance. Suzume looked directly into the face of the stern head, Tajima Uchiha. Next to him walked his two remaining sons who had survived the war until today.

Their hearts automatically beat faster when the main family stopped and looked around. Crossing his arms, Tajima turned his eyes to the chosen maids who were about to begin their work. He could already see from many of them how physically weak they had been.

"I see we don't have particularly strong girls this time." Tajima said bluntly, not knowing if he would even choose one. 

"Father, I'd still like to choose one." said his youngest son, who was already looking at everyone. With slightly narrowed eyes, Tajima looked at his son before simply nodding. He had to deal with his maid and not himself. "Alright, but be warned. There's no going back."

Understanding, the Uchiha nodded before stepping forward and seeing each girl bow to him. Well, unfortunately not quite. One girl who had lowered her head only slightly had caught his attention.

He had already noticed her before because she didn't look like all the others. For some reason, this girl had something about her that the boy had liked and so he stopped in front of her.

"What's your name?" the Uchiha asked directly and could see an embarrassed face in front of him. "Suzume." the young girl spoke politely, just as she had been taught.

"Suzume, then..." the boy mumbled and began to grin slightly. "I'm Izuna and I would be delighted if you would become my maid."