𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

Start from the beginning

     "I need your help with something." Reed answered. "You know my fathers experiments?" That word made shiver's roll down Aphrodite's spine. "When he tried to suppress the effects of the X-gene in me?"

     "Yes."

      "It seems that he wasn't entirely successful."

     Aphrodite's eyebrows rose in surprise as John let out a startled, "What? You're manifesting powers?"

     Reed looked like he had regret on his face, like he should've said something sooner. "When I've been touching things. They've been beginning to crumble and fall apart, and when it happens, it's destructive. I-I have no control."

     "Okay, well, it's not unusual to feel like―︎"

     Reed cut him off. "Believe me, it doesn't feel usual. I don't know if it's related to what my dad did, but the headaches, the way the power accelerates. . ."

     "Yeah, you need, you need training."

     "But I don't have time for that. I just need it to stop."

     "You can't, alright?" John told him. "Your-your powers, they're apart of you. They're linked to your deepest emotions."

     "Well, then if I could control them . . ."

     "No, no. I've seen people try, alright? Anxiety medicines, tranquilizers―︎it's gonna work for a little while, but you're always―︎"

     "That's all I need." Reed hissed. "I just need some time until everything calms down."

     "You don't want to go down that road, okay? Trust me. You need training. If this is happening―︎"

     "John!" Marcos called from the car, making them turn to look at him. "We're ready. Let's go."

     John held up a hand and Marcos got back in the car. Reed shook his head. "You go. You go. We can-we can talk about it another time. It's good." Reed walked away. John glanced at Aphrodite and she softly sighed, placing a hand on his harm before nodding towards the car.

     They pulled up to where Wire would be. John got out of the back, holding the door open and waiting for Aphrodite to climb out before closing the door. He grabbed her hand as the group of four began walking. Clarice looked around and sighed. "I hated this idea even before I saw the neighborhood. This place is sketchy."

     "Ah, you didn't have to come." Marcos told her.

     "Uh-uh. If you guys are planning on doing something this stupid, someone's gotta be there if something goes wrong."

     Marcos pointed at Aphrodite. "That's what Dove's for."

     "I love her, but sometimes she encourages the stupidity." Clarice said, glancing at the woman who smirked slightly in amusement.

     "The sooner we get this done, sooner we're out of here." John assured them, interlacing his fingers with Aphrodite and giving her hand a small squeeze. She glanced up at him and gave him a small smile at the action. John smiled down at her and placed a kiss to her temple.

     "Look, I might not be Wire's favorite person, nut he's a businessman." Marcos said and Aphrodite just glanced at him in response.

     "A businessman who threatened to sell you to our enemies." Clarice reminded him.

     "It wasn't pretty, but we got what we needed." Marcos stopped and looked at them. "Chances are he whines a little, then he takes the cash. That's it."