Sunshine

"It was impossible not to love her."
– Unknown

...

"Cora!" Lyra Odair shouted, running up to the girl, gleefully.

"Lyra!" Coral Newport matched her energy and scooped the blonde up in her arms, swinging her around in a circle before setting her back down again, the two giggling all the while.

The two girls were going to spend some one-on-one time at the beach today. It hadn't just been them since Annie joined and, while they wouldn't trade Annie for the world, they sometimes missed being a duo. Annie understood this. In fact, she was the one who suggested that the two girls have a day just for themselves.

The girls walked hand-in-hand to the beach in the Victors Village– it was a nice, secluded area that only victors and their families had access to. The sun was bright in the brilliant blue sky.

Everything was simply brighter, Cora concluded, when Lyra was around. It was like the blonde girl carried sunshine in her very soul. Sean was that way, too. Just more shy about everything.

Cora really didn't know how they did it after everything that had happened in the past two years. And, even before all of the Hunger Games drama, Sean had lost his parents (twice, but he didn't remember his biological family).

...

"When I grow up, and Sean and I get married, will you be my flower girl?" Lyra asked, casually talking about the future while walking the shoreline with the strawberry blonde.

Cora smiled at the girl. "Was that not already the plan?"

The nine-year-old laughed at the fifteen-year-old's response.

"What kind of flowers do you want? Your brother and I can get you any kind you can imagine, so you can ask for anything."

The blonde girl thought about this for a while. It was true, Finnick and Cora could make sure she had anything she wanted. They were rich and they could leave District 4 if they wanted to. The possibilities were almost limitless.

"Blue ones," the girl decided. "I've never seen blue flowers before. I've seen pink, and red, and purple, and yellow, and orange ones. And they always have green stems and leaves. But, there are no blue flowers here."

Coral smiled at Lyra's explanation. "Then, blue flowers, you shall have."

The girls stayed at the beach all day, until the sun began to set well below the horizon and there was only a dull orange glow left at the edge of the sky. Cora walked Lyra back to the Odair household. They didn't see Finnick as they made their way up to Lyra's bedroom.

...

After brushing her teeth, changing into her pjs, and having Cora braid her hair for the night, Lyra laid down in her bed.

"Sing me to sleep?" The young girl asked, sleepily.

"Of course," Cora smiled. She began to sing a sort of lullaby she wrote when she finally began to start being able to think about Reef without screaming and breaking down. She wanted to write a song for him. She added a few lyrics to make it sound like a love song, so that Snow might let her sing it one day.

"I get undertones of sadness
When I think about the moments
That I never got to spend with you."

There he was, in the corner of Lyra's room.

"I can't decide
If I love you more at morning
Or I love you more at night"

He stared at his sister with unfamiliar eyes.

"With its luminous lux tides
Maybe in the daylight
All its pretty madness
And the complicated status"

It was almost as if he was waiting for something.

"'Cause the moon don't pick sides
And the sun won't resign
Until you're by my side"

His head turned, like he was trying to understand her words.

"Because the longing needs the leaving
And the loving needs the bleeding
And your beauty is a blessing
And I never got to tell you how
I loved the way my eyes make yours look green too."

And, suddenly, she recognized her brother's eyes.

"I think we could live forever
In each other's faces 'cause I
Always see my youth in you."

They were green.

"And if we don't live forever
Maybe one day we'll trade places
Darling, you will bury me
Before I bury you."

The same green they had always been.

"Before I bury you..."

And yet...

"I'll never know
If there's danger in confession
Or it's memory that presses
Like a blade against my throat
Another word and I could choke."

She wasn't sure if it was him.

"But what's worse?
Tellin' you my feelings
Or to die without revealing
That you got inside my head
And set a fire there instead?
Letting all my insecurity
Devour me with certainty"

He didn't feel quite real.

"That love is just a currency
So take my pockets, take me home
Take my life, and take my soul.
Wrap me in a wedding ring
You know I swear I'd give you anything."

And, maybe...

"And I think we could live forever
In each other's faces 'cause I
Always see my youth in you
And if we don't live forever
Maybe one day we'll trade places
Darling, you will bury me
Before I bury you."

That was because...

"Before I bury you..."

She was beginning to move on.

...

...

...

———————————
A/N

Merry Christmas Eve to everyone who's reading this! (You could be reading this in July, for all I know, but still... Merry Christmas Eve!)

I'm incredibly grateful for all my readers and I hope you find this story interesting enough to help fuel your obsessions!!

I hope that everyone has a happy Christmas! And, for those that have rather difficult Christmases and can't find the happiness, I hope you're able to find at least a little joy today and tomorrow!

'Love y'all!