Waiting For An Answer

Annabelle thought the view was almost as spectacular as the one from the Senate. It was on the floor above the Senate room, but you wouldn't know that from the complete silence. The trees outside could no longer completely block the buildings of Capital in the distance. The table was a single slab of wood and could easily hold a dozen people.

Right now it held Cynwrig and Annabelle eating a meal brought to them soon after they entered. In her estimation it had been considerably longer than 'a few minutes,' yet her father had made no comment. He'd said nothing in fact, though he did have an annoying habit of tapping one finger on the table in an odd rhythm.

"It's beautiful," she said as an opening gambit. "I just finished architecture in beauty school. This building is a masterpiece, even to my untrained eye. Orea would be ecstatic to see it."

"It is indeed," he commented, "sad I've never seen it before. Once this is over, we must make a point of coming here. I think if more Rainbows saw things like this, they would have better opinions of the Wild Women."

"Food's good too," said Annabelle, "and I hear they have excellent cider."

Cynwrig raised an eyebrow at her. "You seem a little young for cider, Annabelle."

"Umm, it's what Tomoe says. So, do you think they will accept your offer? That this will be over?" Then she looked around suspiciously.

"I think there will be some resolution, even if not today." He took a last piece of fruit off his plate and asked, "What do you think, Annabelle?"

She lowered her voice and said, "Should we be talking about this? They may be listening."

He smiled again. "We diplomats always assume that is the case, but will they care about the opinion of some pre-rainbow girl and her male companion?"

Annabelle wasn't sure about that. "I don't think they have much choice, really. They aren't very many, and if they really started a war with the Rainbows - is that what we're going to start calling ourselves? The Rainbows?"

"I doubt you will call yourselves that," he laughed, "but it's what they call you."

"There are a lot more Rainbows, both in general and in the Warriors. So I hope they see reason. I don't want there to be a war, even if we'd win."

He nodded. "I don't think either side wants a war, but don't underestimate a people like the Wild Women. They could make life on Home miserable for everyone if they decided to. Civil wars are the worst kind of war.

"But I don't think it will come to that."

"What do you think will happen, Diplomat Man?"

"I think, young lady, I'll leave my thoughts to myself. But I have hope."

Annabelle nodded acknowledgement of the fact they might be listening. "What's a lady?"

Cynwrig laughed, "It is a woman of honor and learning on my homeworld, Annabelle. You really must spend some time on Kantar. You know so little about it."

Annabelle shrugged in that way teenagers do and said, "Today was Rainbow day."

"Ahhh," replied her father. He didn't understand the Rainbows any more than the Wild Women, but for most of the women of Home, Rainbow Day was the most important day of their lives. The group formed would follow you for the rest of your life. Who was in it influenced your vocation because everyone would have the same one. "And you are missing it to watch after an old man."

She give him another teenager look with a slight roll of the eyes. "I'm here to help stop a civil war. A little more important than finding out what color I am."

"For the rest of your life, and who you will live it with."

"You seemed to handle it okay without me," said Annabelle.

"Don't underestimate your introduction. I'd just hoped you'd tell them enough to make them take me seriously. You...well, you made me proud."

She smiled at him, "And was ready to start the dim war myself after what that not-lady said."

"Annabelle, Sithembile is doing what she thinks is best for her people. When dealing with the other side in diplomacy, that is a much better person to have sitting across the table than someone motivated by personal power. Often the leaders of planets and peoples are there because they like to lead - and the power it gives them - but mostly they care about what happens to their people."

"What happens when you have someone who only cares about themselves?"

"We've only had that happen a couple of times," Cynwrig said, leaning back. "Mostly you find a way to make doing the right thing for their people be their way to get what they want. Though I had this one leader, actually called himself a God King of all things, who truly only cared about himself."

"What did you do then?"

"Prayed to the Light," he smiled. "This was before I met your mother. She might have had a better idea. But my prayers were answered in the form of a second ambassador who had a unique way with the God Emperor and was able to help me. Story for another day."

He leaned forward. "I know you aren't supposed to speculate, but I also know you girls do almost nothing but. Who do you think will be in your Rainbow?"

Annabelle frowned, "You may not know this, Cynwrig, but I'm not very good at making friends."

Cynwrig nodding solemnly at this admission of something her parents had known since she could walk.

"I've made some. You've met most of them. Sophia, of course. Orea and Tomoe. Beagán and even Awana, of all people."

"I know Sophia, of course, and Tomoe is at the center of all this."

"Yes, but look at that group, F..." she remembered where she was, "Cynwrig. They couldn't be more different. Awana's the only one I have much in common with, vocation wise. And that matters a lot in who your Rainbow is."

Before she could articulate her fears and confusion about rainbows, there was a knock at the door and Sithembile walked in. "The Senate has decided."

They gave her their full attention. "You will receive a complete document to return to the Privy Council. We have agreed to the High's proposal in principle."

Annabelle felt a weight off her shoulders. Cynwrig just nodded. Sithembile looked at him and said, "Bandile and her team were acting on my orders. If they are to be charged with a crime, then I should be held responsible."

"Okay," said Cynwrig.

Sithembile looked startled. "What? Are you saying you are going to charge me with a crime?"

Cynwrig smiled and said, "I'm saying I heard your statement."

It was at that moment Annabelle realize his father treated Sithembile differently than everyone else she'd ever seen him deal with. Directness was part of it, but so was an application of shock. On multiple occasions, he'd managed to put her on the defensive when she'd started some gambit.

"Before you continue," said Cynwrig, "I'd like to let you know Tomoe is not to be negotiated. She is now a free girl and can do as she pleases. Come back to the Wild or join the Rainbows. But she is not part of this discussion."

The look on Sithembile's face told Annabelle that probably was what she wanted to talk about next. The steel haired woman was thinking of a comeback, so Annabelle asked, "Can we go now? It's been a long day. I've been up all night with your granddaughter at the hospital. I'd really like to get back and find out how her treatment went."

This made the woman take a deep breath and sigh. "You are right, girl. Let me lead you back to your ride."