Privy Council Meeting

Sophia had discovered that by quietly trailing adults, she could frequently access areas they preferred to keep off-limits. She'd attached herself to the end of the train of people following the High. It took much of her concentration to be quiet and unobtrusive.

They were ushered into a conference room in the Med-center with a large wall display. On that display was a stern, worried looking woman, and she captured everyone's attention. Those members of the hospital staff tasked with seating the group made the assumption she was here with her mother on some kind of take-your-daughter-to-a-Privy-Council meeting thing. So they seated Sophia directly behind Space Woman Black.

The woman on the screen said, "Cobalt, what the hell is going on down there? The troops are about to go after each other because of some rift between the Wild and the Rainbows. Now I hear you shot a Wild Woman leader's grandchild and killed her."

Before Cobalt could answer, the High said, "Warrior Black, that is a grossly inaccurate. The daughter in question was fostered under the Legate's care. She got caught in the crossfire when the Wild attacked Cobalt's house. She was stunned in the head and is currently in the Med-center being evaluated. We are here to figure out how to defuse the situation."

Annabelle's father had taken a seat next to Sophia, and she gave him a smile. He'd gotten a back row seat behind his wife at the table.

"If I may, High," said Cobalt then, without waiting for answer, "Black, what's the state of your command? Are the troops fighting each other?

The woman on the screen growled a sigh and said, "There have been growing tensions for the last week. Stories coming up through the Wild Woman grapevine about kidnappings and other crimes directed at their people. I'd have been more worried if they were taking action. But I don't know how long will hold. Any change in our status is liable to cause a mutiny."

There was silence in the room, then Cobalt said, "Mutiny? That's pretty serious, Black."

"No shit," said the Warrior on the screen. "Which is why, with all due respect High, I must ask you not to involve the Warriors in any of this. I don't even think it would be a good idea for me to come down there."

"That is serious," said the High. "How could this have happen so quickly without us knowing anything was going on?"

Next to her, Cynwrig shifted in his seat. It encouraged Sophia to see he got it.

Space Woman Black had thought the High was talking about her. "Despite what the Wild believe about us, Space Girls do not monitor or interfere with domestic matters. There aren't six or seven on planet right now, and they have strict orders to stay away from the Wild."

Sophia whispered to no one in particular, "And I have to go buy her crumpets."

Cynwrig gave her a raised eyebrow that could have meant "you're strange", "you don't know what you are talking about", or even "be quiet", but Sophia had to make some kind of comment. Her forced silence was driving her nuts.

There was silence in the room as all the privy council thought.

"If I may High," said Cynwrig from the back of the room. "I may have a few ideas about that."

Sophia thought herself small as everyone turned to look at Cynwrig and noticed the teenager next to him. Her mother frowned but didn't say anything.

"Of course, Cynwrig," said The High. "Your opinion is highly valued."

Cynwrig stood up but didn't move to the table. "As an outsider to Home I sometimes see things those of you who grew up here might not. Often these things actually confuse me," he smiled at the thought. "The Wild Women are one of them." He raised a hand to ward off explanations. "I know there is an important story there, and if I were a diplomat to Home, I would want to know that story. But it doesn't matter for the issue at hand.