Parents

Cynwrig Pembroke rode down the elevator between his wife, Diplomat Red, and Space Woman Black. Red had on her polite face. Black a slight smile that was hard to read. Cynwrig thought the discussion before the High had been a draw. Red wanted the Space Girls ordered out of the 4th Sector, but got a diplomatic mission instead. So they'd have a chance to keep the peace, but the Space Girls would still be doing their thing.

That was probably not how either women saw it. Both probably felt they'd lost, and neither seemed the kind of woman to quickly let it go. Hence his position and the silence.

When they exited into the Loop's inner park he was surprised to hear music. The three of them followed the sound and found two little girls dancing with the most famous male actor on Home; the music coming from a flying saucer. They stopped before they were noticed.

The curly-haired girl wasn't even trying to keep up with the rapid steps of other two, but she had a smile so contagious Cynwrig and even his wife mirrored it.

Black tilted her head and said, "How long do you think it took her to learn those steps? They're from his new show."

Diplomat Red glared at the Space Woman. "Don't you dare."

Black put up her hands and said, "I was just saying. You know I don't pick anyway. And definitely not this young." She put a hand to her chin and added, "But Thespian Blue..." knowing her husband's boss was always on the look out for new talent, and had no qualms about added a child role to a production to get a daughter hooked on the stage.

"Annabelle has always been a natural mimic," said Cynwrig, before his protective wife said something undiplomatic. The song ended and the dancers fell into a laughing heap on the grass. The three watchers started clapping.

"Mommy!" said Sophia as she jumped up and ran to Space Woman Black. "Mommy, Daddy just taught my new friend Annabelle a very hard dance. Did you see?"

"I did, Sophia, and you were dancing beautifully as well."

Annabelle pulled Antonio by the hand to where the others were standing. "Mother, look. This is Antonio and he was dancing with me."

The adults smirked at her enthusiasm.

"So it is, Annabelle." Her mother extended her hand to the actor, "I am Diplomat Woman Red, and this is my husband Cynwrig Pembroke, also a Diplomat."

"A pleasure to meet you, Antonio," said Cynwrig as he shook the man's hand. "Annabelle is a great fan of yours. We have taken her to see Pirates live three times."

"No higher praise could an actor seek," Antonio replied, "especially from the daughter of a couple my wife reports are single handedly bringing the galaxy into unity."

Diplomat Red took a step back and looked at Black, who was tying her daughter's wild mane. Cynwrig smiled as his wife's surprise. "I do believe we have quite a bit of help from the Space Girls. Even when we don't agree on methodology."

The two men exchanged a smile.

"Mother, Sophia said she would be my friend," said Annabelle.

Annabelle's parents' look acknowledged an incredible debt of gratitude to the curly-haired little girl.

"Of course, I'll be your friend, silly," said Sophia. "I'm sure you're going to make lots of friends."

"Sophia's gift is to make everyone her friend," said Antonio. He glanced at his watch and said, "It is dinner time. Would you all care to join us for a meal? There is a lovely Zemerian place just down the road I assure you is very authentic."

The diplomats accepted. As the adults sauntered toward the restaurant, the two girl's chattered excitedly about school.