Chapter Thirteen- Two of Many to Come

Emma awoke beside Killian with a grin full of admiration and success. Seeing a peaceful expression on his face made her realize she had taken all the darkness from his heart into her own. It had been a long shot-but one that seemed worth the risk.

As she moved into the bathroom to shower for the day, she clutched her chest and fell to the floor. Within a matter of seconds, she was back on her feet only to see her reflection in the mirror. But as she saw, it was only one eye consumed with the darkness. Making her look as if she had an eye-iris deformation of some kind. After removing herself from the shower, she took a pair of sunglasses from the shelf and placed them over her eyes and noticed how she could see the world in two separate ways as she made her way outside-leaving Killian to rest. In the darkness, she saw the entities or souls that were trapped-similar to the ones in the underworld. They were reaching out but could never touch. On the other side, she saw the normal life she had always. At least since she has arrived at Storybrook.

Walking further down the street, Emma saw how Granny's dinner was filling up with people. Henry, Snow, and Charming were among those in the center of the frenzy but they were with someone she was unaware of their identity. She wore a long set of hair that appeared perfect in the light with the perfect body and flawless skin. Her eyes seemed to be crystals themselves as she turned toward Emma. The crowd split into to almost creating an aisle for Emma to shake her hand.

"I am Aphrodite. It is nice to meet you." She said with a pleasant smile.

"Emma. Swan..."

"Oh, I do indeed love swans!" She said as Emma noticed how Henry was practically drooling over the girl. She was probably Emma's age, possibly a little younger-but it was hard to tell.

"I am here for Hercules. Where may I find him?" She asked as she looked around the townspeople only to see unfamiliar faces.

"He is...indisposed.." Snow said as she blushed. "Hades took a hold of his wife and Hercules ran after her, entering the underworld to retrieve her."

Emma shot a look at Charming. "When did this happen?"

"When you were with Killian."

Emma felt an immense amount of guilt fall over her. But how could she resist the man she loves? After all, that accent...the eyes...that smirk! She bit her lip just thinking about him.

"Is there anything we can help you with?"

"No. But we need to get him back...it's dangerous in the underworld. Too many trapped souls trying to hitch a ridge back to life..."

"They can do that?" Emma asked nearly frantic.

"I'm afraid so..." She said hanging her head low. "I believe we will have to send someone in the afterlife to get them..." She looked among the group and everyone looked at each other.

Emma stood there and realized she was already half dark, but entering a realm in which her darkness came from...could make her turn completely dark. It was a risk, but she would have rather risked herself than Henry or Snow or Charming. She gritted her teeth, took a deep breath, and offered herself.