Chapter 7 - Despicable Duo

Weeks had passed. Jessica had yet to arrive at the little town in the Storm Lands. Alan had assumed she was either lost or still attempting to trudge her way through the unpredictable weather and harsh terrain. The disgraced knight had little doubt she was likely unprepared for the long and treacherous journey; after all, the dimwitted princess had a habit of believing she could do anything and overestimated her skills in almost all situations.

Over the weeks since arriving at the small town, Alan had kept a close watch on Aemond, observing as he helped the crippled old woman who ran the inn, how he interacted with the people as if he'd always lived there. How the silver-haired prince seemed to be looking for someone, always leaving the inn on market day with hope lighting up his icy eyes and returning late into the afternoon with that same hope diminished. Try as he might, though, Alan was never able to get a clear answer from the people he all but questioned about Aemond.

Despite trying many times, the disgraced copper-haired knight was never able to answer the question of why Aemond was there in the Storm Lands. It had gotten to the point where Alan concluded even the residents of the small town didn't know why the silver-haired prince of Daro was there. However, Alan did suspect they knew who Aemond searched for every market day, although he'd never gotten an answer from them. Instead, they stayed tight-lipped as if protecting the mystery person. After all, he had been unceremoniously labeled the Witch Hunter.

"You're following me again, why?" called Aemond, and he strolled down one of the cobbled streets, his eyes on the misty mountains in the distance. As per usual, his arms were nearly folded behind his back, clasped at the wrists. Just like every day, Aemond wore black, although today, without his thick coat, he settled for a long-sleeved tunic and leather waistcoat.

At first, Alan had been taken aback by Aemond's words, believing he had been cunning with his quiet observations and trailing. Although he quickly understood, Aemond was no fool, which was part of what made him such a formidable warrior. Effortlessly, the silver-haired prince of Daro turned to face the disgraced knight following him; an eyebrow raised indicating he expected an answer, his icy eyes colder than normal as they locked on to the copper-haired knight no doubt sent by Princess Jessica Rayas.

"Curiosity," confidently replied Alan, running a shaky hand through his copper curls. "A certain princess asked me to keep an eye on you. As her loyal servant, I'm honor-bound to do as she pleases," he spoke, noticing Aemond roll his icy eyes as the spoken words reached him.

"What does a disgraced knight from Osland know about honor?" asked the Prince of Daro, his words as cold as his eyes, flat and direct, as if to ensure there was no mistaking them for the insult they were. "It matters little. I'm here of my own accord; once I've found what I'm searching for, I will be on my way again." added the silver-haired prince, not giving away anything as to who or what he was looking for. However, Alan did notice the small sliver of doubt shine in Aemond's eyes as the words of leaving left his lips.

"What could a spoilt prince such as yourself want from a ghastly place like this?" voiced Alan, hearing the familiar shrill voice of Jessica echoing from a distance. Aemond, too, heard her voice traveling through the wind, wincing upon hearing it again. As if the haunting ghost he was hiding from had found him once more.

In the distance, on a stark white horse, Jessica appeared, looking tired and, worst for ware, frail even. Almost a ghost of her usual self. Her hair was matted, her clothes dripping from the recent rainfall and sticking to her skin; it looked like she hadn't eaten anything in days or had a proper night's sleep for quite some time. Her horse didn't look any better, on wobbly legs, thin, almost skin and bone. It looked like it wanted nothing more than to throw Jessica from its back and abandon her.