Chapter 13

Sade

A pinch in my neck made my head go back. The forest floor beamed everywhere with light. This would be such a beautiful place to draw if it wasn't for the fact that I was standing with a talking family of furries.

We were now walking back from the lake, where they all dipped their feet in the water or washed their faces. I would have dipped my feet in there as well if it wasn't for the fact that I had socks and didn't want wet socks on the way home.

"Sade? Are you well?" Randy's wife asked concerned. I was going to answer until I heard something from behind us. The children and Randy were in front of us, laughing at something they did the other day.

They were too far away from us, and whatever that noise was, sounded crazy. Like, a huge thud of a big body. Both of us stood still, looking around. There was something ominous in the air.

"The others said a human guy would be around here. Not some human woman" A tall woman, who looked around 45 or-so like my mom, said. She towered over me and Randy's family. She was a white woman who had short pixie-cut blond hair whose body was also well-fit. She looked like she was wrestling bears. The woman barely wore much. She was covered head to toe with dirt and had on old ratty shorts and a top. The edge of her ears tipped further away from her head than usual human beings.

I thought humans weren't allowed to be inside the woods ever? Randy's wife yelled out, "Sc-scavengers!" before panic running to her husband. I followed her as of instinct but felt the older woman's body following mine. I started to run back to the lake, hopefully trying to get her off of me.

"You woodland creatures don't need to be afraid of me. I'm here for someone more important." It's almost as if I hear her smile those last words. She tackles me down and we roll into the lake itself. The water was a shock to my body as it was super cold, even though it was very sunny today. It was hard to breathe and I felt myself sinking instead of swimming to the top. However, I soon felt her grab my arms. Both of us reach the top, trying to breathe again. She lifts me out of the water and checks if I'm alright.

"Where's the guy? So help me-" She spits the lake water out of her mouth and sits on top of me. She gives me time to catch my breath. I can't believe she's trying to threaten me. Like I would have known that information.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about. I thought people weren't allowed in the woods?" My brain was not focusing on the conversation, because in the distance, I saw James and some bird running in our direction.

"Human. I don't have time for this. I know there's a Giant around here. Humans whom the woods choose to let in must be special to it. Now, where is he?" She slams her fist near my head.

She then grabs a hold of both of my wrists and punches me in the face multiple times. My nose begins to bleed, but even though she's pounding on me, the main thing that hurts is the back of my neck.

I felt the earth shake, and instantly felt the woman's body fly off of me. She was body-slammed away from me and into a tree. James, now in giant form tried settling his breath and transforming back into human form. I was still laying on the ground, wet, and hair amess while James covered his naked body over me. I guess he threw his underwear and pants off so they wouldn't shred when he becomes a Giant.

He lights and wipes the blood that was rolling from my nose off with his arm. There was a moment of calmness, as his eyes searched mine and then my face. His eyes looked so guilty. "Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?" He then listened to my heartbeat, which was probably beating fast as he had his head a few inches below me.

"I'm fine," I say and I try to sit up. I felt his strong hand on my back as I got completely up. I looked back to the woman who seemed to be knocked out by that hit. "Who is she? I think she was looking for you?" James walked to her and examined her face. I then decided to look anywhere except in that direction.

"It's just one of those scavengers. They possess the bodies of humans dead or alive. They're just these magical things that have been trying to get as much magic to consume as much as they can. They're more like pests to us, but to humans... they're dangerous. You can not let them get to you, so there's no need to worry. I've never seen someone like this... They're usually not a big problem since they've been mostly stealing necessities, like food. However, she... wanted me. I guess Ken was correct after all." 

He crouches down before he sees that the woman opens her eyes and kicks him in the balls. He yells out, hunches over and she kicks his head with the heel of her foot, making him spit blood out of his mouth. I don't see him move for a while and the urge to help him overwhelms me.

"Oh, now I get it." The woman laughs maniacally at the both of us and sways her body wildly. "The woods are into some freaky shit." She continues a hardy laugh, showing off her dark yellow teeth. "A brown human, and some type of weird human-giant crossbreed? How'd fate choose the two of you brats? Would it be easier to use your body to get trick him, now that he's unconscious?" She begins tossing her body side to side while running at me. I start to limp away.

My foot was feeling funny a little but when I started to run, it worsened. I'm pretty sure when she tackled me she fucked something up in there. On the other side of me, going towards the blond scavenger woman, was a black bear.

I'm pretty sure it was the one that was about to attack me, I think the name was Ken. Birds soon flew in that direction carrying what appeared to be rocks I think. I stopped to completely turn around at them attacking her. Some of them pelted their way on the woman. They piled up on top of the woman.

My thoughts went back to James, who was still nowhere to be seen. My body, although now tired, started to run back in that direction.

"This is your sign to leave. James will be fine." Randy's voice made me turn around. He was in his raccoon form. Which was weird, because before that, I never could've heard him. He tugs at my skirt before walking away from the animals fighting the scavenger. The rocks of the woods began to become sandier than dirt.

"What exactly is happening? Why did that lady try to attack James? Have they done this before?" I huff, running as fast as possible for myself.

Randy didn't say anything and was just focused on trying to get me out of here.

It sort of felt like we were running for a few minutes when I realized we were near the beach side. I ran with all my heart out of the forest. It almost felt as if the wind was carrying me to safety. Randy runs with me until I'm in the public eye of the beach. People who usually come to walk didn't notice I was running for my life.

"I'll come find you, to tell you James is safe. Just stay home. Don't go near the beach, and you will be fine." He waves his small paw at me as he heads back into the forbidden Woods.