Chapter 3

"Sorry for the mess, if you get me a broom, I can clean it up for you." His attention went back to the cashier.

"No, actually. Thank you. I was going to cuss that bitch out if you didn't stop to say anything. Actually, here." The cashier rings something on the computer before the paper is pulled out. "Your teas on the house."

I placed the money that the angry customer dropped to the floor into the cashier's tip jar.

We walk out of the store quietly, after giving thanks to the cashier.

"I go to this store often, so the cashiers know me... but that was the first time I've ever seen an angry customer..." He looks at his watch and backs up to the sky, "I only had 50 minutes of work left, but I'll call just call it a day." He sighs tiredly. 

Both of us walked on the grey cobbled stoned floor. His heels from his dress shoes clacked against them as we walked aimlessly. "So..." He stuffs his hands in his pockets. "You some type of witch?" He looks down at me in a goofy manner.

I roll my eyes, "No. I don't know why she called me that. My mother and I run a potion shop, but that's just about it." He looked at the busy streets without anything to say.

"You know, you gave me too much money last night." I shuffled into my pocket to grab it. "I don't need it so I'm giving it back. Acidic dirt doesn't cost that much."

He looked at me, his eyes sparkling against the summer sun. "We should just use the money to get something to eat. I'm sure that you are as hungry as I am." It was around 4 and the sun wasn't ready to settle down yet.

You know what, I still have time before I actually need to go home, "We should take the train back to town and grab something at my friend's parents' sandwich shop. It's pretty good." I adjust the bag of dirt in my arm.

"That doesn't sound too bad, Dirt Girl," he says as smirks with a boyish smile.

"You know my name isn't Dirt Girl, right?" I say as we head over to the train station.

"Yeah, but I never got your name..." His eyes looked directly toward mine.

"Yeah, and I have sort of forgotten your name," I say, shyly. I feel bad for forgetting his name after he told me but at the same time, it's not like we were thinking of meeting up again. Especially not the next day.

He placed his hand on his heart in an overly dramatic way while his other hand was on his forehead like he was gonna faint just because I didn't know. "I can't believe you couldn't remember my name! I'm so shocked! Aghast! Appalled!"

I let a laugh slip out of me and lightly hit his arm. "Fine, I guess I should say mine." We finally made it to the train station, with a few minutes to spare.

"It's Sade," I say as I turn to him. For almost a second, I thought I heard him whisper my name under his breath but I guess it was just my imagination. I stared at him for him to give him my name.

"Hmmm, I like Dirt Girl better, to be honest with you," He poked at the bag of dirt and we both laughed as I tried to snatch his finger off of the bag.

"I don't want you anywhere near the bag. You're lucky to be even standing next to me." I say as I whip it to the other side where he's not standing at.

"That's not how you treat your good friend named James." He looks like he pretended to cry.

"Who said we were friends?" I say sarcastically and he lets out a laugh.

'Train to Shore Town now arriving. Train to Shore Town now arriving and leaving in 2 minutes.'

"That's us," I say and shift the bag in my arm. "Are you sure you're going to be okay with skipping the last 50 minutes of work?" I ask as we make it into the busy cart.