Chapter 12

I wake up to the smell of eggs and a huge weighted blanket. I stretched and realized that I was on the couch of James. His back was turned to me as he finished the last few pieces of bacon.

Sunlight spilled throughout the room, making everything warm and bright. He turns around, holding two plates in his hands.

"You're awake!" He smiles, "How was your sleep?" He tilts his head.

I wipe my tear ducts, and face, "It was good. I don't remember falling asleep." He placed the plate in my already stretched-out hands and I thanked him.

"What are you planning to do today?" He asks, his eyes not looking back at mine, but at a random object next to the side of my head.

"I'm not sure. I think I'll head out, and walk around or something. Check-in with my mom because she's probably having an aneurysm because she hasn't seen me in less than 12 hours." I rolled my eyes.

"Wou- would you want to go back into the woods? It's a bit different when its in the morning. We can help some of the animals forage for food. Plus, you can see me do my protector duties." He leans closer to me, excitement filled in his eyes.

"I wouldn't mind, it's still the morning time. Plus, maybe this is what the curse is talking about. Maybe I have to sacrifice my time and help you." I tried laughing off the awkward joke, but he sat there with a look of indifference.

"When you get home, I'll give you some of my turtle neck sweaters, so your mom will not get worried. We can meet again around 7 at this house, I don't use it that often and you can make yourself as comfortable as you would like." He huffs his food down quickly, with excitement and a bit of hunger. "I'll go get your clothes, and then we can get ready."

*

*

*

"Don't you have to take your medicine soon? Or is that only when you get stomach cramps?" I walk over a thick tree vein emerging from the ground. We were now back in the Woods.

I never thought I would be stepping back in here, with a man I met less than ten days ago, but here we are.  The sun shined on the tall trees that almost beckoned us to come in. We pass a few bunnies and such, that stopped to look at James before passing.

I wonder if he can understand all woodland creatures or just the ones that are enchanted and can possibly turn into humans.

James stretches his arms out, basking in the sunlight, and smiles. "Not sure, but whenever I'm in the woods, I don't have to change into a giant. The only time I feel myself changing is when I'm outside of it."

"Do you think its because you're not as stressed? Or..." I trail off.

"I think it's because of the air around here... I'm sure my curse has to do with something in these woods. If only I could find the answers..." He looks at a thick tree and bends his knees before he jumps and positions his legs around the trunk of it.

"This is how we look for berries and such. I'm just going to check up on a family so you can continue the path in front of you. Randy and his family should be up ahead." I see James's thick thighs convulse as he continues to go up into the tree. The sunlight made it hard to see, but it seemed like he was talking to some birds or something.

I continued to walk down the small dirt path that seemed to lead closer to a cave. Randy was in human form and he was talking to a much taller, muscular man. His hair was long just like James's, but seemed like he was disinterested in what Randy was talking about when his eyes landed on me.

When we locked eyes, the taller man went in front of Randy and glared at me menacingly. Randy looked behind himself and placed his hand on his shoulder to walk in front of him.