Chapter 7

"You have some nerve to be going into the shop." I fold my arms in anger.

He looked confused, almost heartbroken, "Why can't I go into the shop?"

His ocean eyes swam through mine, to and I had to dodge them. "You- you put a curse on me! That's why!" I was about to shout, but I forgot that I was in an alley. Anyone can suddenly walk around here. His bushy dark eyebrows pushed together in question to my reply.

"Look, if this is about your secret, don't worry. I told you I wasn't going to say anything. Can't you take the curse off of me?" I huffed at him acting confused.

"I really have no idea of what you might be speaking of..." He pushed his eyebrows closer to each other as he leaned into me to whisper.

I pulled the collar of his shirt and whipped my head around. I moved my hair out of the way and pointed to the tattooed-like star on the back of my neck.

I whipped my face back at him, but now I was standing way too close to his face, possibly inches.

I took a step back, feeling the heat creep up on my cheeks. "Did you see it?" I looked at him. "My mom is going to disown me if she finds this. Our family has a rule about tats." I fold my arms.

My family does not trust tattoos. My family knows they cause curses or worse death on people.

"Listen, I truly don't know what's going on." He looked at his feet with nervousness. "But I'm sure you're telling the truth. I'll see what my buddy thinks of it. They seem to hold more knowledge about this than I do."

He seems like he's genuinely sorry, and when I keep staring into his blue sea breeze eyes I keep seeing the reflection of someone who is truly sorry. He grabs a blank paper and pen from his bag and starts to draw the star before placing it back into his bag.

"I have something to ask to do for you as well." He looks around to check if someone was near before coming inches closer to my face. "I want to learn how to be a better human. I know it doesn't make any sense to you, but it means everything to me... " He whispers in my ear. "I still get things wrong. I don't really say much to people, and I want to get better at that. I want to enjoy jokes and understand pranks." He moves away and I can see his ears blushing in embarrassment.

It was such a random and difficult question. I mean, who am I to teach some random guy to act more human around humans? I don't even think I'm a great person, and I don't really have that many friends besides Jaz.

"Then it's settled. I get out of work at 8 or so. We can meet at the beach, or my place if you want around 9." He looks at his watch.

"Don't you have to go to work?" I point to him being a little distracted but he places his attention back on me.

"Yeah, I have a meeting with a said buddy who can help with the curse. I'll meet you at the beach. At 9." He smiles and waves a little before striding over to the train station. He was so nonchalant about it.

I walk back into the store as both Jaz and Mr. Sinclair give off the same expression of curiosity.

"So, should I assume that's who you've been talking to? I've never seen him before in this area."

"Yeah, well he lives closer on the other side of town than anything." I shuffled my feet, I mean he really lives on the other side of the town. Like, inside of the banned woods... where no one is supposed to be there... unless they get cursed...

They both looked at each other quizzically.

*

*