Chapter 9

I roll my heel around. "What happened? Did you talk to that person that can help fix this? What does the star mean?" I mean, I feel the same, but what if it's causing things bad things to happen? Nothing has yet happened, with the exception of Mom and I arguing but that's nothing new.

He opens his hand to lead me into his house. I was hesitant at first but shoved it down. I try to ignore the make-out session we just had sat down on the porch.

He might've been the best kisser I've ever had the chance of meeting. All of my ex-boyfriends had to be trained by me to kiss, and even with that, they were never exactly the best because they would somehow find a way to click my teeth with theirs.

His house was dusty but had life to it. It was tidy and all around was the nautical-themed decor. He seems to be fond of collecting these decorative sailboats with miniature people doing random things like playing tennis or something.

I make sure my skirt didn't bunch up when I sat down on his couch and crossed my legs as he placed his bag down beside me.

His house was more of an open concept, with the exception of the bathroom and bedrooms, I could see him from where he was standing.

"Well, they said that they can help us..." He spins around to the stovetop to grab a teapot. His broad shoulders slightly flexed under his now loose button-down shirt. A hair lick falls on his face and he tried to fix it back up. "Tea? I don't have much since I don't necessarily have to eat."

I wonder if that's because he's a Giant or what he claims is his curse, but if I didn't have to worry about eating I wouldn't mind being a giant for a while.

"So do we have to meet up with them? Or drink something?" I quickly get up so we won't have to be so far apart.

"We'll, actually..." he points to his bag. "She said it's all in those books and that's all the information she has on Giants." He bites his lips, checking my face to probably see if I was going to get mad or something.

"Well, that's a good start! If it's a potion, I think I can actually make it, so we won't be stuck." I tuck my loc behind my ear and rest my hands on top of the bag. I sat near the island since it had a couple of chairs next to it as I watched him prepare the cups.

"You can open it. It's not like I'm going to double curse you if you touch a book in the bag." He chuckles as he pours the cups of hot water into the two cups.

My cheeks flare up with heat and embarrassment. "I-I knew that man!" I reluctantly opened the bag.

There were two thick books in the bag and I pull them both out, but they were stuck. I might not be so athletic, but I know damn well I'm not this weak.

I place the bag near James. "Could you help me out?" He nodded and I held the bag again as he grabs the books out with force. They finally get out of his bag, although there was a small tear at the seams.

"These books look super old," they had such a weird aura when I opened them. Dust spiraled out of each page. "Where did you say you got them from?" I look back at him and he doesn't say anything.

"Hopefully we can find some things about it... and hopefully it's not a curse..." He hovers over from behind me, placing his arms beside mine on the table.

I look through the book, and half of the words and phrases in it were hard to read. Like, it wasn't part of the language that we would consider in any part of the world.

I wondered if my Mom could cypher through the book, but knowing she's so strict about anything possibly having to do with magic, it's probably best not to go to her.