42

Chapter 42

Classes soon enough resumed within Hogwarts, leaving the Christmas spirit behind and got back to normal. Hadrian mostly felt sorry for the House-elves (he knew they had enough magic to clean with a click of their fingers though so it wasn't so bad, they didn't have to get down and dirty in the disgusting sick that people had left in puddles on New Year), he was pretty sure it wasn't just the Slytherin's that celebrated so vivaciously, although during his schooling while in Gryffindor there hadn't been a single party quite like the one he'd experienced these past years as a student in Slytherin.

Sure Fred and George had snuck in Butterbeer and treats, but fire whiskey had been a precious commodity that not many Gryffindors brought out to share. Most Gryffindors in his time were actually Muggle-born's, Half-blood's or purebloods with not much in the way of wealth. While everyone within Slytherin had more than they could spend in a single lifetime. There hadn't been three wars yet that decimated the magical population.

"I hate the first day back," Lestrange groaned, sitting there looking much like an inferi, he was utterly exhausted. He hadn't been able to sleep before one am, and was back up at six to get ready for the day ahead. Despite the fact he was exhausted he hadn't neglected his pureblood decorum, he was impeccably dressed and for most part didn't show just how exhausted he was. His back straight, calmly eating breakfast he was hungry but his stomach wasn't quite agreeing with him.

"You say that every time," Carrow said rolling his eyes, after summer holidays, Christmas, Easter and so on. "We have DADA first thing, you best be awake for it," Merrythought was harsh on slackers, and more often than not did something productive after the holidays, last year had been a duel, everyone loved practical lessons.

"You wrote your essay didn't you? Professor Slughorn won't let you hear the end of it if you haven't!" Hadrian asked, sliding down to sit on the bench opposite them, his bag plonking on the floor as Hadrian began grabbing toast, wedging sausage and bacon between them, and began to chew on them hastily, absently adding a lot of scrambled egg to his plate, he had approximately five minutes, which would leave him only with five minutes to get to class. He noticed a lot of the others had already left, or were in the process of gathering their bags to go.

"Oh no," Lestrange whispered horrified, his eyes extremely round, he'd completely forgotten his potions essay.

"Here's your mail, the owls were getting impatient," Carrow said, handing over the small bundle of letters, unopened and put them beside Hadrian's breakfast so he could pick them up before he left.

Hadrian snorted in amusement, "Guess that's your lunch hour taken up then," he commented as he ate his scrambled egg hastily swallowing thickly before saying. "Thanks Amycus,"

Lestrange grunted in annoyance and agreement, he couldn't go to class without it, and he wasn't going to ask anyone to help, he wanted to go an entire year without owing someone a debt to collect later. It wasn't just small things anymore; they were becoming more unreasonable and bothersome as they got older.

He'd usually ask Avery...unfortunately he couldn't do that not without commit social suicide. He missed him, he'd grown up with him after all, but his actions were inexcusable. He was lucky he hadn't been bloody killed, a poisonous snake of all things, he just wished Avery had spoken to him so he could have talked him out of it or something.

"Where's Tom?" Dolohov asked, glancing at Hadrian waiting for a reply expectantly.

"He's coming," Hadrian replied he'd literally just jumped out of bed got dressed and came down; Tom was probably just out the shower. He wasn't exactly vain about his looks but he did use it to get what he wanted, that and he always kept up an impeccable appearance he acted more 'pureblood' than the actual pureblood's did.