35

Chapter 35

"That is what you're wearing to the Yule Ball?" Lucretia asked the other female Black's by her side looking just as aghast. They were dressed in the finest material money could buy with jewellery presumably that was kept in the Black vaults for special occasions adorned their necks and wrists.

Extremely old fashioned pieces that were probably handed down from the family - or they could very well be new pieces that they'd bought, Hadrian wasn't sure what the fashion was supposed to be like in this day and age - he had no interest in it.

"You all look absolutely stunning," Hadrian said, trying to take the attention off of him.

All of them began preening at the praise, temporarily off the topic for now.

"Now where are your dates?" He added to ensure it stayed of the topic of his choice of attire. "Don't tell me they're taking longer to get dressed." he teased, grinning wryly.

"Boys!" Dorea sighed shaking her head, "They always go up at the last minute." she groused.

"That's because they don't take forever to get dressed," Hadrian replied with a sardonic grin. A sigh of relief left his lips when he heard the tell tail thumping of feet in the boys staircase, they were coming and would definitely not get on at him again.

He had no interest in buying fancy dress robes with his money to wear for one night, it was pointless, especially considering he would be taller and filled out more by the time next year came around. Not that he was considering going - no way.

"Ready to go?" Vincent Crabbe enquired, arm out ready to escort Lucretia to the Yule Ball.

Hadrian shook his head, he was already off to a bad start, and he was going to be abandoned before the nights end girls liked to be complimented, especially when they'd gone all out to impress their partners.

Most of the first through third years were off to one side of the common room, some despondent that they had to wait to go, some sulking that they weren't invited and others were jealous of the gorgeous robes. The only one older than thirteen was Avery, who was right in the corner trying to become one with the walls or invisible.

Either one would have been fine by him; the boy had been cowering away from him since the other night. Which did provide a source of entertainment for Hadrian, he'd expected himself to feel some sort of guilt over it but he didn't, he'd been pushed to the edge and had retaliated in a way he hoped the boy would learn from and never try anything again, he liked it here.

"Hadrian?" the others called, when they realized he wasn't with them.

Hadrian sighed and grumbled but reluctantly got to his feet, practically dragging himself along. Ignoring the looks of incredulity from the others. They couldn't understand why he didn't want to go, didn't want to make the effort either.

"Stop looking as though someone has just killed your dog," Thaddeus, "It's going to be fun!"

"Sure," Hadrian muttered dryly, "So much fun," jumping slightly when he felt a hand slip into his own, squeezing it, he didn't need to look he knew it was Tom. He stared at their joined hands struck dumb, he couldn't get used to it, and it was just so different from all he thought he knew about Tom. "Well, at least the food will be decent."

"Decent? It's the best!" protested one of the girls who Hadrian couldn't put a name to at the moment, since they were altogether and giggling like there was no tomorrow.

"Well, considering I've had worse maybe you're right," Hadrian shrugged, he just couldn't be bothered with all the fuss, once was enough for him in his lifetime.