19

Chapter 19

A week had gone by and it was two days had passed since Tom had finally agreed and had written to Professor Slughorn with one manipulative, heart pulling letter that would have made even the most battle hardened Auror give in - Harry could understand how Tom was able to convince so many people.

When he'd said Tom would be able to convince Slughorn he had known it, seeing how he managed to manipulate the adults around him was admittedly awe-inspiring that letter took it to a whole other level there just wasn't a word for how brilliant he was.

Tom had written the letter and he had Apparated to the post office in Diagon Alley, unfortunately it wasn't where he remembered, instead it was further along just short of being in Knockturn Alley, and in a smaller building, he'd paid the money and the owl was sent off to Professor Slughorn, he had no idea how long it would take.

He had also spent some more money buying food, he couldn't handle going without, he was just so hungry he could only imagine how the other orphans were feeling with the small amounts they got.

He knew he had to be careful with the amount of money he used, he knew he would definitely have to do some betting at Gringotts to replenish his funds and make sure he had enough to see them through the summer holidays and with a little luck some extra money behind so he could get new robes this year and definitely new scales, the other second hand ones he had weren't accurate and it was causing his potions to be slightly off colour.

He wouldn't bet too heavily, he didn't want to risk Tom being right and his presence here having changed that much that the outcome of Quidditch matches would be different. He would do one or two with a small amount that he could risk, and if it paid of then great. If not then he wouldn't leave himself completely skint, and would as always make do.

Each Air Raid that occurred didn't ease Harry's fear at all, but he was becoming more accustomed to it, he was able to stop himself from being overwhelmed at the sound.

Although he had to stop himself from trying to help afterwards, as masses upon masses of buildings were destroyed mostly flats and buildings around shipyards.

In fact a bomb had dropped onto one of the shelters killing an estimated one hundred people, but they still said it was worth it and continued going. Morale wavered but never once did it truly give in, and Harry always made sure Tom saw that.

The day the underground was hit was the day Harry had quite literally had to stop himself Apparating both of them away and staying within the magical community where it was safe.

It had been too close to where they were for comfort, he instinctively knew Death wouldn't let anything happen to him, or at least warn him but faced with the horrific nature of war his thoughts didn't come into it.

He didn't think he had worried so much before in his life, it was constant on edge fear, hell he hadn't even felt that much facing Voldemort not even the first time.

"Come on, you need to get out of here," Tom said, grasping a hold of Harry's hand and hoisting him off the bed. Then marching him out of the bedroom, one hand on his back.

Harry went as directed, once again wondering about that, Tom didn't touch people full stop, yet he was constantly keeping him near. Was it because he could use magic and get them out of there if anything happened?

No, he had been doing it before he learned about that particular secret. Even at Hogwarts he'd been doing it, but not quite so touchy about it either. What alarmed Harry is how familiar it was becoming, he'd go so far to say he rather liked the comfort it offered him in this war infested world.