Chapter 19: Tess POV

I groaned as the knocking continued against the door. Thud thud thud. I didn't want this moment to end, but we both reluctantly stood up and threw our clothes back on. Declan also went to go find a shirt upstairs since he didn't have one with him. I stalked over to the door and opened it.

My breath got caught in the back of my throat when I realized Angela was standing there. She had dark sunglasses on, bright pink lipstick, and a pissed off look on her face. Although, a sarcastic smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. I was so embarrassed she had interrupted us like this!

"Angela, what are you doing here?!" I demanded.

"I can ask you the same question," she shot back.

"How did you know where to find me?"

"Your mom told me where you were," she said, peering over my shoulder. No doubt she was trying to see if Declan was also here. Thanks, mom, I thought to myself.

Her suspicions were confirmed when Declan joined us, as he was tugging his shirt over his head. Angela's smile widened as she caught a glimpse of his beautiful chest and torso.

"Hi. I'm Delcan," he introduced himself.

"I know who you are," Angela said with an exasperated sigh. She turned to me. "I'm actually here for you."

I swallowed hard. "Angie, look, I know I haven't been a good friend lately. I've just been busy. Then, I was sick with mono," I tried to explain.

Angela cut me a look. "So you couldn't call and check up on me? Or text back, so that I would at least know you were okay? Why are you hiding him so much from me? Why do you keep me in the dark about your relationship? You told me you were taking it slow but this," she gestured to us, "doesn't look slow."

Declan chimed in from behind me. "I'll let you two ladies catch up. I have some errands to run but I'll be back." He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and I shot him a look that said thanks a lot. He hurried out the door and started one of his sports cars parked way off to the side, and pulled out of the driveway, leaving just Angela and I behind.

She cleared her throat. "Tess, you're my best friend. I know when something's going on with you, and right now my sixth sense is telling me there's something wrong. Sooner or later, I'll find out but I'd much rather hear it coming from you." It almost sounded like a threat.

I sighed. She was right, after all, and would find out on her own if I didn't tell her. She would be so much more hurt if she had to find the truth out herself. "Alright. Let's go catch up."

*****
We decided to head to the local mall to do some shopping. Angela tried on a cute, pink cropped blouse and a pair of skinny jeans with holes in them. "I think those look great on you, Angie," I told her.

She rolled her eyes. "You've said that about the past ten outfits I've tried on."

"Well, it's true. They all look really great." I was partly distracted. I was fumbling around with the hangers on the racks, and hadn't actually tried on any clothes myself. I was anxiously waiting for the questions she would inevitably ask.

"I definitely don't need more clothes," Angela said as she tossed them in the "keep" pile. "But you never know for what occasion they might come in handy!" I laughed. It felt good to have Angela not mad at me, good to be able to joke around with her like old times, even though I knew it wasn't going to last.

"You should get something for you. It's on me today," Angela said.

Screaming kids ran by nearly knocking us over. "Hey! Watch it!" I yelled. Their mother bustled by and mumbled a quick apology, as she moved to round them up.

There was no point in arguing with her, so I chose a black blouse with a notched neck and mesh sleeves. We waited in the checkout line for nearly ten minutes, as the store in the mall was packed with shoppers. Once it was our turn Angela swiped her credit card and the cashier handed her the receipt, and we were off to the food court.

We tried a Japanese place. I wasn't that hungry so just ordered some Miso soup. Angela ordered Yaki udon- essentially a Japanese version of a stir fry with udon noodles as the base. We took our seats in the bright and open food court, and I had just went to take a sip of my soup when Angela said, "Okay, now talk."

I put my spoon back down. My stomach churned at the thought of having to tell her everything. I didn't know why. She was my best friend. Couldn't I trust her?

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything," she replied slurping up a noodle. "But you can start with why you've been avoiding me so much lately," she offered.

"Angela," I began, choosing my words carefully. "It wasn't that I was avoiding you, or that I was even sick. I was just out of town."

"So the mono was just an excuse?" I nodded.

She narrowed her eyes. "Who were you out of town with?" She already knew the answer, and just wanted to hear it from my lips.

"Declan. We went to Rio De Janeiro together. For our honeymoon."

Angela laughed a humorless laugh and stood up to leave. "Wait!" I called out. She stopped in a mid-standing position and glared at me. "I'm serious. We were on our honeymoon." I let the word sink in, then she reluctantly settled back down in her seat.

"When?" she asked, refusing to look at me, and I could hear the hurt in her voice.

"A couple of weeks ago."

"Why did you keep this from me? And why did you marry him so soon?"

"I didn't want you to know because-"

"Tess, you're my best friend! You didn't have to lie to me." Tears welled in her eyes, and her voice cracked in pain.

"Because I didn't marry him for love, okay? It was an arrangement and nothing more," but as I said those words I knew they weren't true. At the time, maybe, but certainly not anymore.

She narrowed her eyes. "What arrangement?" she questioned.

I inhaled and exhaled slowly, and my breath was shaky. "As you know, my mom's medical treatments have costed a lot. We were at risk of losing the house to pay for them. I needed to find a lot of money and very quickly."

"So, he's your sugar daddy?"

"Something like that. But he needed something in return, too. His parents have been pushing him to get married and he needed a wife soon, or else... or else he would face the consequences from his very controlling, manipulative father," I explained to her. "This way, both of our needs are met. He won't be exiled from his family or the business, and my mother and I will still have a roof over our heads."

"And you didn't tell me because you thought I'd judge you, my own best friend who's like a sister to me?"

I nodded then dropped my head in shame. Why didn't I trust Angela? "I'm sorry, Angie. I really am. I never meant to hurt you."

"But you did," she pointed out bluntly. She pushed her food tray from her and stood up. She turned around and began walking away.

"Where are you going?" I called out behind her.

She didn't bother turning around as she said, "I just need some time to sort things out." With that she was gone, leaving me alone with just my Miso soup.