Chapter 12: We Can't Go Back

As soon as Chuuya bursted through the door of the office, he sent one of the desks flying with a swift kick of his foot.

"Oi, what's up, Detective Agency?" He said. The other members of the Port Mafia, including the Black Lizard and Akutagawa, stood behind him.

Kunikida, Yosano, and Kenji got into a defensive stance, while the other Agency staff members stood off to the side. Ranpo had already figured out what they were here for, but decided to simply keep quiet and continue eating his pocky sticks.

"And what brings you here?" Kunikida said, glaring at the fact that now he was going to have to replace that desk Chuuya destroyed. "I don't recall warranting such an aggressive attack from the Port Mafia."

Chuuya smirked. "Yeah, well the boss wants the little lady returned to him. We're just carrying out our orders. Hand her over and we promise to leave you in peace—for now."

Yosano gritted her teeth and stepped forward. "And why in the hell would we allow that? Y/n is one of us. You people don't get to have any say in this matter. Where Y/n chooses to go is up to her. You can't just take her back by force," she said.

"I'm betting we can," Chuuya said, clenching his fists.

"Just try it, you imp," Yosano said. She hated that she had allowed Y/n to end up with the Port Mafia in the first place, so there was no way that she would let her friend suffer in the same way that she did under Mori's thumb all those years ago.

Kunikida sighed. "I think you lot should leave now. We're quite adept at taking out trash, but I'd prefer it if I didn' have to clean up an even bigger mess," he said.

Chuuya lost his smirk. It was clear that this wouldn't go as smoothly as he had hoped. He didn't want to waste anymore time chatting, as it wasn't just Mori who wished for Y/n's quick return, but Chuuya as well. He had grown fond of the Port Mafia's new fiery princess and didn't want her to be subject to Dazai's manipulation anymore. When he occasionally spoke with Y/n, he realized that she seemed to have more fun when there were fewer rules to be followed, so he was going to break them all if it meant she would have her freedom back.

Chuuya had grown tired of playing diplomat, so he turned to his fellow members and said, "Akutagawa, go find Y/n. You three, let's pummel these pansies."

He chuckled with excitement before bolting towards them. Kenji blocked his attack with his bare hands, but Chuuya proceeded to throw the boy, slamming him against the wall, leaving a massive crater in it. Ranpo decided it was time to grab a couple of other snacks from his desk drawer and hide underneath the table.

Hirotsu and Kunikida charged at each other, while Tachihara and Gin ganged up on Yosano. Each side held their own against the other as best as they could, but it became apparent that the Port Mafia had the upper hand. And with Akutagawa off searching for Y/n, there was only one foe that had yet to join the battle.

Atsushi was standing outside the infirmary as all of this was going on. He was curious about this Y/n girl and what relations she had to Dazai. He was also worried about her, as he knew that the Port Mafia was a brutal lifestyle and he wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

However, he heard someone approaching and turned his head. Akutagawa stood at the end of the hall, glaring at his most hated rival. Atsushi also exchanged a scowl to him with equal displeasure.

"As much as I'd like to settle our score, weretiger, I'm here for that girl, so move or I'll move you myself," Akutagawa said.

"You're not going in there," Atsushi said, transforming his limbs and readying his stance.

"Shame—you wish to die so soon. Very well."

Akutagawa and Atsushi broke out into a fight and Dazai could hear the commotion going on from inside the infirmary.