Chapter 1: New Recruit

Chuuya Nakahara, a notorious executive of the Port Mafia, walked down the corridor leading to the boss's office before knocking on a large door.

"You needed to speak with me, Chuuya?" Mori Ougai said, sitting at his desk with the curtains of the office wide open. A bright blue sky illuminated the space and a little girl was casually sprawled on the floor at the side of the room, while playing with her drawing utensils.

"Yes, boss. I have found a new recruit that I think would be useful to the Port Mafia."

Mori grinned at the prospect of another strong member in their ranks. "And who's this person that even you would recommend?"

"Her name is Y/n. I came across her while doing my regular patrols and saw her using a special ability," Chuuya said. "However, she appears to be close with Dazai, as she seemed to already know about me and the Port Mafia before I'd even mentioned it."

Mori's eyes became intensely focused on the man. He didn't want to risk this girl infiltrating the organization, especially if Dazai had put her up to this. He could be quite crafty, after all. Was this his attempt at a strike-back after what happened in the Mimic incident all those years ago? Couldn't he let bygones be bygones by now? After briefly detailing the situation to the boss, Mori asked, "And what is this special ability of hers?"

"It appears to be a pyromantic ability, as I saw her combust a pile a trash in the alleyway without even touching it. I believe it would become quite the destructive weapon if given the chance," Chuuya replied with a smirk. "I brought her here because she came willingly, but the decision is yours on what to do with her, boss."

"It does seem like it could be a useful ability for the Port Mafia," Mori said. "That is, if she can prove herself loyal to us. Please send the young lady in," he said while hiding a grin behind his clasped hands. "And please wait outside, Chuuya. I would like to speak with her alone."

"What will you do if she's a spy?"

"If that's the case, then we'll make an example out of her," he said. "We don't want anyone thinking that they can fool the Port Mafia so easily. Not even Dazai." Chuuya could sense the malice behind Mori's casual smile.

"He could retaliate if this girl is important to him."

"He is simply one man, Chuuya. A formidable one, yes, but there is only so much he can do on his own, even with the Armed Detective Agency by his side. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time he lost an important friend of his and this organization is still standing, even now. I won't underestimate him, but I won't fear him, either."

Within a minute later, Y/n entered the boss's office and the guards shut the door behind her. She walked over to Mori's desk and greeted him with a politely composed demeanor. Her h/c hair and e/c eyes had already caught Mori's attention and he thought that if she were to become a mafioso, then she would probably be the most beautiful of them all.

Y/n was not fearful of her current situation, nor was she going to be at ease. She came here for a reason, after all.

"A pleasure to meet you, miss Y/n." Mori said with a charming smile. "I'll cut to the chase. I would like you to show me your special ability."

"In here? Isn't that dangerous?" Y/n said.

Mori chuckled. "What's so dangerous about a little fire? If you are to be useful to the Port Mafia, then I expect you to already have good control over your ability. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here," he said. "So go ahead. There's a fireplace behind you. I want you to make those flames dance. You can do that much at least, can't you?"

Thank you for reading :)  ///  To be continued... 🧡