Chapter 18: Angels

Fyodor was sitting on a stool as he played the cello to a dramatic tune that made it seem like he was leading an orchestra of death with every string. The room she had been transported to was apparently on an upper floor of the building they were in. She had no clue where it was located.

Now that Y/n realized it, her phone was missing from her pocket as well, so even if she wanted to call for help, that would be impossible. However, she refused to give up on that idea entirely, as she learned from a certain someone that there was always an optimal solution, no matter how dire one's predicament. She just needed to play her cards right, and finally exploit Fyodor when the timing was right.

Y/n expected Nikolai to give Fyodor a more flamboyant introduction, but instead blind-sided her by saying, "I have some things I must tend to, Y/n, so you may chat with our esteemed leader until I return." He held her hand and bowed, while she took in his gesture with a tense expression. Is he really just going to leave her here? What a scam, she thought. Nikolai noticed this, and grinned. "Don't have too much fun without me, though," he said, winking at her. Moments later, he vanished.

Y/n turned her gaze back towards Fyodor as he was still enthralled by his own instrument. Did he even notice she was here? She refused to say anything until he did so himself, as she felt there was value in letting him make the first impression. She was curious what the first words of a kidnapper would be.

He stopped playing, and opened his eyes. "I hope you've been well, Y/n." She dispassionately stared at him as he smirked at her. "There's no need to be so on guard, is there? I've been dying to finally meet you, as we have many things to discuss about your future," he said.

"Can you just get to the point? Nikolai was no help in that regard."

Fyodor stood up from his seat, and set his instrument down, proceeding to walk over to her. She slightly shifted her stance backwards, intensifying her glare towards him. It was strange how Nikolai was probably just as dangerous as this man, and yet she didn't entirely feel uncomfortable in his presence as she did with Fyodor. Just looking at Fyodor made her look like a feral animal on the street. She had no problem biting his fingers off if provoked. Though, the thought of having to do so disgusted her.

To be honest, this wasn't the first time that Y/n had heard mention of this man. In the years she spent with Dazai, the latter briefly mentioned the unholy reputation of a man with a sickly complexion, and a mind so rotten that he spoiled the goodness of everything around him. However, he never spoke his name, so it didn't click with her until just now. The fact that Fyodor was responsible for the childrens' kidnapping soured her opinion of him even more. She clenched her fists. How dare he have the gall to even smile in her presence.

Fyodor was quick to notice that what was lying beneath Y/n's shifty eyes was also a tiny spark that he could eventually ignite into a cataclysmic fire. He needed her.

"You know, Y/n, did you ever consider that I may serve as your key to the answers you've been searching for all this time?" He said.

"Like how you killed my parents?"

Fyodor raised his eyebrows, but then relaxed his gaze. "What gave you that impression?"

"I'm not stupid enough to assume your intentions are pure just because Nikolai approves of you."

"I see you're quick to trust him. Is that not what you've been seeking? If you join us, then I'm sure your doubts about my intentions will subside eventually," Fyodor said.

"Aren't you trying to get rid of ability users all for the sake of your grand vision? Even if you're telling the truth, you're a hypocrite at the very least."