Chapter 3: First Mission

Y/n didn't know what to expect from her first mission, but she hoped it was one that made her essential to the boss.

"There seems to be a traitor in our ranks who is suspected of divulging information about our organization to an unknown party. His name is Haitaro, and tomorrow, he will be at a warehouse out in the countryside that he often frequents. I would like you to take care of him. It shouldn't be too difficult for you," Mori said.

"Forgive my need for clarification, boss—but you mean kill him, right? Isn't that excessive?" Y/n said.

Mori smirked. It had been a while since he had seen someone so uncorrupted by this world he lived in. Her naivety had a sort of endearing quality to it. Like a flower yet to be plucked or eaten by wild animals.

"You'll soon see the necessity of bloodshed when it comes to working in the Port Mafia. We know that this person has stolen sensitive information about us, but we don't know what he plans to do with it. I want you to make sure that this information doesn't get leaked—by any means necessary. This will first be your task as a new member, so I expect great things from you. Show me how useful you really are."

"Will I be going alone?"

"We wouldn't want to risk anything going wrong, so I will have other members accompanying you, as well. Besides, I'm not so heartless that I would let a new member of our organization handle their first kill alone," Mori said, grinning. "However, don't mistake this as being a collaborative effort. You will be the one spearheading this mission. The others will simply be instructed to assist you if you are in dire need of it. But I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about, regardless."

Y/n didn't know how she was going to handle killing someone. Even though she was familiar with causing a ruckus and setting fires to things in her time spent wandering Yokohama, she had never wanted to actually kill someone before. What would Dazai think? She thought. She knew that he would have never wanted her to take a person's life. After all, he knew from experience that it wasn't the way for her to find purpose in her existence, but Y/n couldn't help but wonder if she was only becoming the person Dazai wanted her to be, rather than the person she truly was. She never killed because she had no reason to, but if it was to protect her new home and earn the favor of its boss, then that gave her enough reason to get it done—at any cost.

"Also, I will need you to extract information out of him before he is dealt with. We need to make sure that whatever happens in that warehouse, stays there," Mori said.

"So you want me to torture him?"

"Your ability is quite suited to that sort of thing, don't you think?" He said, grinning. "Just make him talk. The rest of the details are in your hands. Don't fail me, Y/n."

"I won't."

"Very well. Give me your report when you return."

Y/n did not seem as fearful as Mori thought she would be. He smiled to himself as she walked out of his office. In the Port Mafia, fear of one's enemies must exist in a kind of balance. Mori believed that fear prompts people to crush their enemies, but it could also hinder a person from reaching their full potential if left unchecked. He was glad that Y/n seemed to display the former.

After Y/n left, Mori grabbed a bottle of wine and poured himself a drink. He stared into his glass and started tilting it around in a circular motion as the red liquid barely missed from spilling over the edges of his cup. He stood next to the large window of his office and looked down at the city.

"I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of your efforts—Y/n," he said.

The next day, Y/n arrived outside the warehouse and scanned her surroundings to make sure there were no witnesses nearby. She saw the building. It had gray wooden panels on the exterior and looked dull, old, tattered, and seemed like a perfect dump for scum to hide in. The countryside was desolate. She could see why they chose this place. At least it made her job easier.

"All right, everyone, surround the building and block any exits. Don't let anyone in or out. If you see someone, kill them," Y/n said. "I'll handle Haitaro."

She wasn't used to giving orders to people and felt like she carried a heavy weight on her shoulders at the fact she just told the guards to kill people she doesn't even know, be it an enemy or otherwise. She didn't know who she was becoming, but Y/n knew that she had to focus on the task in front of her.

Before opening the door of the warehouse, she took a deep breath and calmed her mind. She wanted this to be clean and quick. Once inside, Y/n could hear a man's voice talking. It sounded like he was talking to himself. That must be Haitaro, she thought.

"Damn it. Where did I put the fifth file? They're going to need all nine of them, or I'm screwed," Haitaro said.

There was debris everywhere and empty crates stacked up in various places inside the warehouse. Y/n hid behind one of them and observed him rummaging through his many drawers of folders. There was a lantern sitting on his desk in the corner and it was quite hot in the building due to the lack of air conditioning. She didn't want to be hasty, as she was still discerning the threat of the situation. But she didn't want to wait there for too long, either.

"There we go. Finally," Haitaro said, finding the missing file.

Y/n didn't move a muscle and just watched him spout his head off like an idiot. Haitaro's eyes widened and he turned around, sensing someone's presence.

"Who's there? I know you're hiding," he said, pulling out a gun.

Before Y/n was spotted, she threw three of her fingers up and ignited the fire from the lantern, drawing the man's attention away from her direction. She rushed towards him and emitted fire from her right hand, blinding the man's eyes. Haitaro screamed, clutched his eyes, and fell to his knees. Y/n kneed him in the face, knocking him unconscious.

"You sure are loud, damn—And I guess you can't help me find a rope, can you? I'll admit, this isn't my brightest moment. You're just going to have to bear with me," Y/n said.

She managed to find an old rope hanging on one of the beams and grabbed the man's desk chair. She needed to extract him for information, so Y/n slapped him awake. Haitaro grunted as he woke up.

"What the hell? Who are you?" He said.

"Your worst nightmare," Y/n said, lifting her hands above her head. "I'm kidding, kind of. Anyway, I'm here for those files of yours."

"Are you the person I'm meeting with? Why am I tied up? I said I'd cooperate with you people."

"'You people'? Do tell," Y/n said.

Haitaro stopped talking and his eyes darted to his surroundings. He could see the Port Mafia's guards standing outside the window. Then, one of them came into the building.

Thank you for reading!!!  ///  To be continued... 🧡