Chapter 39: Phantoms In Camlann

A cold sweat rolling down his back and sending electricity flying through his body was the first thing Christian Ddraig felt as he was pulled out of the perpetual darkness that swallowed his consciousness. The spine tingling sensation of this simple salty liquid was much welcomed as it meant that after everything he was still alive, and as the old saying goes, only the dead can't feel, or something like that, he couldn't quite remember the full quote.

Chris forced open his heavy eyelids. At first the world around him was blurred but it cleared as his vision adjusted itself. As he became ever so aware of his environment he realised that he lay uncomfortably upon his back with his head resting on something softer than the hard concrete floor.

This pillow was warm and soft, it brought much comfort to his head than the concrete floor. But this was simply too good of a position for him to rest in, Chris remembered crashing onto the floor after sealing away Pyrrha's wound. That fall was not graceful nor was the floor comforting by any stretch of the imagination.

As the blur of the roof began to clear, four figures began to come into his view and from the chattering he could tell that they were deep in conversation.

His vision finally cleared for the better and he could see Hamanymu, Ursa, Joan and Thor who looked like they had fought through hell like he had.

The four of them leaned down to him looking at him with joy etched upon their face's. They laughed and crashed into him for some kind of hug that Chris couldn't help but wince from the pain of being crushed under four people forcefully dog pilling him.

He wanted to get them off of him but this moment was too precious for him to easily cast aside. He waited a few moments as he bathed in their warmth before he finally spoke.

"Um, guys." he chocked a bit as Thor's elbow accidentally rested upon his throat. "You're crushing me."

They all instantly jumped off of him with looks of embarrassment. Chris suddenly remembered Pyrrha, she should have been resting nearby. He looked to the left, he looked to the right but there was no sign of the red haired elf, except for a dried pool of blood not too far from him.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Ursa asked, having noticed his concerned face as he looked around.

"Were is Pyrrha?" Chris didn't want to worry about that elf, he really didn't. But he couldn't suppress the feelings of worry the plagued his heart.

Ursa opened her mouth to say something but she stopped herself as a hand from behind his head reached forward and cupped his right cheek in an almost affectionate manner. Chris felt his body stiffen, his cheek muscle's tighten and his face get hotter as Pyrrha's face loomed over him and he came to a single conclusion.

"My head...my head...is..is on, Pyrrha's laps!" He thought in shock as his cheeks tighten even more and as he looked at her face from this angle and she almost looked... beautiful.

Chris pushed himself back to his feet and turned to face Pyrrha who knelt as she looked right at him with a blushing face of her own, as she looked away from him making everything even more awkward.

He sharply turned to look at Joan, unable to believe that his twin sister of all people had allowed this to happen. Joan looked back at him and she simply shrugged whilst saying.

"She saved your and besides, I am not going to put your head on my laps."

Chris had never once felt so embarrassed in his life, he wanted to turn and run away but that would injure his leg further. Instinctively his hands reached for the gaping hole in his thigh... But he found nothing but torn armour, ripped cloth and flesh sealed with only a half faded scar that belonged to an old wound rather than a one caused not more than an hour ago.