Thirteen, Falling Out

Começar do início

            Brittany interrupted. "Principal Meyers will believe whatever Jeff and Tim say. I don't really see how we recover from this. Unless Estelle manages to convince them not to."

            "I don't think that's possible." Estelle told them.

            "Clearly." PJ muttered under her breath.

            PJ's annoyance went unnoticed by the group. "Man..." Sylvie sighed. "Fuck."

            "You know, it's been real, guys." Hazel said, standing over the group on top of the benches. Estelle turned to smile at her. She really admired the girl's progress.

            But PJ still wasn't convinced. "Okay, let's not jump to conclusions with the goodbyes and—"

            "I'm gonna miss you guys so much." Hazel interrupted.

            That silenced everyone. It made the group feel nostalgic in a way. There was something peaceful to breaking the club up after revenging one of their almost–fallen members.

            Sylvie tried to brighten the mood. "And, like, at least we went out with a bang. I mean, that was fucking insane!" She stood up, facing Hazel. Hazel laughed at what she said. Soon her eyes met Estelle's. Both their eyes held a sort of sparkle never seen before. It was as if a light appeared as soon as they saw one another. They were each other's lights. A star and its keeper.

            The girls laughed along with each other, reliving the fire that previously was Jeff's car. Estelle laughed for a second, but then dropped the smile when she realised what would happen if she went home. Her Dad must be manic. And as much as she wished he'd blame Jeff, she knew he never would. Jeff was the golden boy. No one could touch him.

            "Wait. W— S— Stop," PJ tried to stop the girls from jumping to conclusions nonetheless. "We don't— Wait, no, we don't know that for sure."

            "PJ," Annie said. "Don't be sad it's over. Be happy it happened."

            "All right, can everyone calm the fuck down, please?" PJ's annoyance was growing again, this time with all the girls instead of just Estelle. "The club is not over, Josie, right?" She gestured towards Josie behind her.

            Josie, who'd been viewing the meeting silently, continued to be silent. "No matter what," Isabel didn't wait for Josie's response. "This club has brought me so much. I feel... so much more powerful and, um... protected."

            Josie stammered. "Me, too."

            PJ chuckled sarcastically. "Great."

            "Oh, my God, PJ," Hazel expressed. "Okay, I'm sorry that you didn't get what you wanted out of this group, but I think the rest of us did."

            "Oh," PJ said mockingly. "Good for fucking you, Hazel. I'm glad that you finally wrote one email. Accomplished a lot."

           Hazel's voice rose, but remained calm. "I actually did. I practically ran this club for you and Josie.

            Josie already saw what was gonna happen and tried to calm the situation somewhat. However, it was too late. "Hey, let's calm down, maybe—"

            "You really think that you're the reason that we have this club?" PJ stared at her intently.

            "The reason? No. But I can tell everyone that if you want." Hazel responded instantly.

            Josie, again, tried to calm the situation down, this time she directed it towards Hazel. "Hazel. Uh, hey, let's calm down, right—"

            "You're really ungrateful," PJ was the one to disturb her. "You're so lucky that we even let you be a part of this."

            Estelle's eyes travelled from Hazel to PJ to Hazel to PJ as they argued. "PJ," She said sharply. "You're a liar."

            PJ ( and with that literally everyone else ) was silent. The statement raised a few questions. But PJ's response made everyone forget about them. She scoffed. "Yeah, well, you have no friends, and a skank as mom, so..."

              Hazel was out of sorts. She stammered. "I have Estelle." Her voice broke.

              "Estelle is a drug dealer who never says anything," PJ tilted her head mockingly. "Doesn't count."

            Hazel's eyes fell as well as Estelle's. PJ had made fun of Hazel, and with that managed to insult Estelle. Only PJ could do that successfully. Hazel's eyes filled up with tears. She awkwardly looked around, but she wouldn't dare to meet Estelle's eyes. Estelle, on the other hand, wouldn't look at anything but her.

            Hazel packed her bag and stormed out. PJ was unfazed by it. Even Josie made her look at her, it was clear she didn't agree with it.

            "Haze—" Estelle called to her, but Hazel was already out the door. She didn't look back once. She stood up, stopping in front of PJ. "Just so you know, I do say stuff, you just don't listen. That's not my problem. And it's not Hazel's problem," Her voice became more enraged by the last sentence. She poked her finger on PJ's chest. "That's all you."

            Estelle jogged out of the gymnasium, calling out for Hazel. She was nowhere to be found. She didn't want to be found. Would you, if you've been humiliated like that? So all Estelle could do now was drown out her sorrows with music, as she's done many times before.

Author's Note
this is a short one this time, because the next chapter HAS to be in one. hint: its not gonna be something out of the movie AND its gonna be a sad one. im looking forward to writing it. but for now, have this bye bye