Ten, Had A Feeling So Peculiar

— ❝had a feeling so peculiar

— ❝had a feeling so peculiar.❞

            Her mind full of doubts and terrors, Estelle wavered to move at all. She was stuck to the ground, as if someone had played a prank on her and glued her to the linoleum floor. She felt naked,
now that she'd stripped herself of her truths. But on the other hand, if you're already naked, what more have you got to lose?

She pulled herself off the ground, shuffling towards the benches where her bag had been dropped. Estelle picked it up, swinging it over her shoulder, her eyes were casted on Hazel, talking to Annie and Sylvie on the other side of the room. Hazel hadn't talked to her all day and it made Estelle question if she'd done something wrong.

The girl took a deep breath, steadily making her way towards them. In one, quick pace Estelle stopped in front of Hazel, in between Annie and Sylvie. "We need to talk," She said to Hazel. "Please."

Hazel seemed to not want to at first. "We need to go anyway." Annie nodded. She eyed the two girls, dragging Sylvie along with her.

"Walk with me?" Estelle asked the girl.

Hazel crossed her arms over her chest. Her jaw tightened as she looked to the side. "Yeah, fine," She murmured reluctantly. "Let me get my jacket."

Estelle nodded, giving her a smile, but for the first time ever, Hazel didn't return it. The two walked alongside each other to Estelle's bike as they had all those previous days. The tension filled the air as none of them dared saying the first word. The silence was almost suffocating.

They took a turn into Hazel's street. Estelle realised she'd almost blown her chance by being so ridiculously selfish — by being so scared, because she knew she'd say something that would only make it worse eventually.

Swallowing that deep pit of guilt, she spoke up. "Can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead." The short–haired brunette replied. Though Estelle wasn't familiar with this tone in Hazel's voice, she was sure it wasn't entirely genuine.

"Why did you say I should go back to my boyfriend? Why do you think I—" Estelle stopped her rant suddenly. Concern lingered in her voice, the thought of Hazel thinking she had a boyfriend consuming every other thought ever.

She couldn't imagine what Hazel must've been feeling to say that. How confusing it must've been to kiss someone, only to eventually think they had a boyfriend.

But Hazel stayed silent. Her eyes were plastered on her feet, setting one foot in front of the other, every time one step closer to her house. She eventually spoke, softly. "Forget it," She said, still avoiding eye contact. "It doesn't matter."