One, Fair Square

⎯  ❝fair square

⎯ ❝fair square.❞

It wasn't sure to Estelle what was expected of her, but it certainly wasn't this. She went from the beloved student to the student you bought from to nothing. A nobody. And she was okay with that.

            The gigantic house she was supposed to call home sometimes felt as though it was crumbling. Even though the space in between was enormous, Estelle had the feeling the walls came crashing into her. The only safe place was her bedroom, where she'd spend most her evenings dreading the next.

            As of right now, she couldn't do so. The fair was built up in town for one more day and Estelle promised her dad she'd join Jeff and his girlfriend Isabel, because it was important to Jeff. According to her father, everything was important to Jeff— everything was about him, everything was because of him. Everything, everything, everything.

            Estelle spent her last minutes laying upside down on her bed, listening to Dominic Fike's album Mama's Boy on vinyl. She heard the faint talking of the couple im the room next door. Estelle attempted to ignore it, but those two could get quite noisy when nicknaming each other.

            She sat upright on her bed, turning off the record player before stomping out of her room to Jeff's. His door was wide open, the two sitting on his bed, completely in their own world.

            "Yo, dipshit," She knocked on the already open door to let herself be known regardless. "Just to let you know, I hear everything. Either close your door or just don't."

            Jeff's face dropped for a minute, then he seemed to get upset. Isabel gave Estelle an apologetic look, silently telling her to close the door. With a roll of her eyes, she closed the door with a slam.

            On her way downstairs, Estelle passed the room they described as the med-bed. It was the place Ginny laid when she was in her last stages of sickness. She couldn't properly get out of bed anymore, so they placed a bed in a room and called it her place— disregarding the fact that that room used to be Estelle's art room, which she used daily.

            The bed was still there, only now it was empty. Full of memories, but physically empty. No one had yet had the courage to move anything or even fully enter it. Her converse-clad feet took her down the stairs, forcing Estelle to tear her eyes away from the room.

            It took some time, but eventually Jeff and Isabel joined her downstairs. Jeff started up his red car ( that he was so proud of but had actually been gifted by Dad ) and drove to the fair. Estelle could've called herself lucky he hadn't gone to Dad's study and whine again. He seemed to do that more than usual lately.