Chapter 19 - Game of War

Remington Leywin
Moments Before War commenced

"Alright, I know you likely are Tess, but Lucas are you any good in close combat?" He shook his head as he leaned back slightly.

"Unfortunately, I am heavily reliant on ranged spells. Though my mana reserves more than make up for my lack of close combat." He stated, without a hint of arrogance or pride.

I just about choked on my words. I had expected something along the lines of, 'I'll just blast them all where they stand, they're weak commoners anyway!' What happened to that smug look he had carried while waiting for class to start? Or was that just a front to show his confidence?

Shaking my head I continued, "I'll be pairing you with Arthur. Wind and Earth attribute augmenter, excellent swordsman, favors his right hand but has no hindrance with his left."

Lucas covered his mouth with his right hand, the other crossed his chest. "That is good information. Alright, I have my plan. Would I assume you'd be against your girlfriend?" My face went hot, coughing into my fist I tried to redirect the conversation back on course.

"Are you not dating yet, Remi?" Tess chimed in. "You gotta be thinking about it right? I mean you're always together and are quick to take each other's side regardless of right or wrong."

"Right. Let's focus on the task at hand please. Tess we'll talk later." I stated taking a deep breath.

"Okay! Just know I'm rooting for you two." She slipped in before I explained the rest of the plan.

"I'll be supporting Tessia against Claire. Lucas buy us time with Art or if possible defeat him."

Lucas nodded as he equipped his staff.

"Tess you're going to act as the vanguard. Quick and decisive."

———

Vanesy Glory
Present

With the mock battle now in full swing, I must say some of these children are monsters in the making. Lucas, while he seemingly arrogant and narrow minded, was casting with caution as if trying to gauge the ability of his opponent. I expected him to use all the spells he could to decisively strike at Arthur Leywin.

Arthur, on the other hand possessed an eerie aura to him, even if he hadn't defeated an academy professor. At the start of the match he exuded an almost strangling pressure. However, his reserved movements, well timed deflections and counters, all but confirmed a long life of conflict and training.

Refocusing on Tessia vs Claire, sparks flew as the two exchanged blows. Tessia seemed to have the upper hand with swifter movements. Likely due to her tutorage from the former king of Elenoir.

Remington conjured orbs of fire directed towards Claire as Sylvie matched his spells with pure mana. Judging by the way she spoke of their history it seemed as if even now, they were training. Using this match as a game of rock-paper-scissors. It was most interesting when they would move to support their Vanguard. Tessia would receive a tail wind and Claire would receive an augmentation boost.

Claire receives covering pure mana fire as Tessia barrier spells. It was a sight to behold. Although, it almost seemed like they wanted to let the leaders of the DC and SC decide who would come on top. Focusing back onto the boys, Lucas chanted the domain Inferno Cage as he began to bombard Arthur. Brilliant Yellow flames flew around inside the domain spell.

"A domain spell and with such control."

I noticed that Art had tired from dodging all of Lucas' previous spells. But even with the disadvantage of the cage, Arthur was now steadily walking towards Lucas as no fire touched him. Lucas continually backed up until he reached the edge of his domain, mana reserves thin due to the domain and prolonged magic spells. He tripped backwards as Art reached the poor fire attribute mage. Lucas lifted his arms and conceded as Art raised his fist to strike, stopping due to a yell from Sylvie.