Chapter 9 - The Rebel II

Sylvie Indrath

She knew she had little time. Yet, decided not to tell us. Remi knew she had little time. Yet again, decided not to tell us. I was angry, hurt, discouraged, and betrayed. My own friend, my own bond, decided not to let us know. But mom knew, so I guess he did let one person know. I could feel his guilt leak through our connection just before he steeled his emotions. A mask he wore when he knew there was no room for emotional turmoil. He and his brother had that in common as well. Yet, at this moment Art seemed more upset than I on the outside. Quiet tears streamed his face as he laid on the ground. I looked through the memories she left me, visions of Remi's past life. I watched through one in particular. Remi. . . Colt had just escaped a small group of men. Only having received a couple bruises and one bullet wound through his abdomen. After hours of nonstop running, it was now dark out. He arrived at a warehouse on the outskirts of town. Taking one last peak to ensure his escape, he ducked into the warehouse. The interior was hidden by a blanket of darkness. As he walked 10 paces to the center, the lights flickered on. He stood surrounded by gunmen in each direction.

"Hold your fire! Colts returned!" A grizzly man said his head and face hidden by a mirrored motorcycle helmet. The man made his way down to Colt. His torn airborne jacket flowed behind him as he sped towards Colt.

"Chief Bryce!" Colt said as he stood at attention. "Apologies for the delay I-" His sentence was cut off by devastating right hook from the man. Colt's hat went flying as the boy was sprawled onto the ground. The absence of the hat revealed an abnormal head of white hair. Blood oozed from his nose as he stumbled to his feet, while holding his jaw.

"Do you have ANY idea how pissed I am right now Colt! Your parents gave me one job to watch over you. And every day you make it harder and harder to keep that promise!" Colt was now standing back at attention, his eyes distant. "You could've gotten yourself killed you moron! . . . . Say something! Anything! Because right now your about to lose your privilege to go out into the field! If I have to lock you in a basement to ensure your safety then so be it!"

Colt inhaled deeply before responding. "With all due respect sir! We have no idea how long I have! The disease has been recorded to kill anywhere between a week and a year. It's only a matt-"

"When I said respond, I did not mean to get smart with me boy!" The man exhaled loudly as he looked away and down. His hand raising in disregard. "Jacob, Emma, Austen! Help Colt to the armory, patch him up and load up the last of the supplies. We leave in 10! This place has likely been compromised."

The blonde boy, Jacob quickly came and put Colt's arm around his shoulder in support. Emma a petite red haired girl followed by a tanned, heavyset boy. The heavyset boy also wore a hat similar to Colt's. "Let's hurry and pack up what's left." Emma said handing Colt an ice pack. She seemed upset almost angry but whether it was towards what, I couldn't tell. I watched as they lead Colt to a bench inside the armory.

"There isn't much left to pack I'll handle it. Emma." Jacob said before Emma cut him off.

"I'm on it."

Emma likely the medic inspected Colt's wound as she began to treat it. Austen stood next to Colt as he was being treated.

"Bro, how the hell did you take a hook from Bryce like that?" Austen said offering Colt a water. When Colt didn't respond he nudged his shoulder. "Come on man you can tell me! Between infected?"