Chapter 14 - Auctions

Sylvie Indrath

After a brief scolding and much convincing we managed to get Art and Remi's parents to agree to our proclamation. Under the clause of leaving after their 9th birthday and taking a supervisor with us. While we may have gotten a scolding it was well worth seeing the professor's face of defeat. After all, we likely defeated one of the strongest mages in the city!

It was a fun fight and wonderful practical use for our training. Remi had clued me into using pure mana to strengthen the magic of other mages and weaken magic of enemy mages.

———

Two Months After Cynthia's Visit

Helstia Auction House

Art, Remi and I waited as the others slowly made their way into the lobby of the Helstia Auction House. Art and Remi were dressed similarly. Art wore a black overcoat, a black and brown belt around his waist, white undershirt, grey pants and brown calf high boots. His outfit was accented by a dark grey lining. Remi's overcoat was a silver, no belt, and wore black boots instead.

I, on the other hand mimicked the Lilia and the older women with a black slip dress accented with silver engravings, black gloves that reached my upper arm.

Guided to the room we'd be watching from, I noticed the decor of the room was high quality. A window wall separated the auction area and the elevated room. One section was cut out to allow for bidders to bid from the luxury of this booth. Remi and I walked towards one of the tables as we sat down into the sofas, uninterested in auction. We were more interested in the storage area Vincent agreed to allow us entry in.

Just as everyone was getting settled down a group of people I've never seen before, walked in. Quickly gazing over the entourage I thought nothing of them other than the blazing red hair of the man and boy.

Remi and I, continued a conversation we had started on potential spells and abilities. We began to wonder what it would take to create a massive area of effect spell to strengthen allies. When I felt a gaze land on us. The tall red haired man looked at us disapprovingly and a mage that stood by his side did the same. Just then I noticed everyone else in the room excluding Art was kneeling.

{Ignore them, not like they could do much.} Remi said through our connection.

[I dislike the way they looked at us. But who are they anyway.] I asked

{Well, that is King of Spain and his family.}

Just then two kids followed by Lilia and Ellie came to the table. The red haired boy introduced himself as Curtis Glayder and his sister, Kathlyn Glayder.

The two kids were shadowed by the mage from earlier. While I personally didn't mind the Glayder siblings' presence, I mind the mage. So much so, that I relocated to sit next to Remi, feigning an invitation to the Glayders to take my seat. Art was stood by the glass undoubtedly scanning for a sword to ask Vincent for.

We made small talk with the Glayders and Lilia. With the ever adorable Ellie chiming in with her childish mispronunciations. I did as Remi had recommended and payed no mind to the mage as the auction drew on and on.

We enjoyed ourselves as children did playing fun little games and telling funny stories of our lives up until this point, Art having joined us after giving up on the auction. He had snuck two glasses of what I can only assume is alcohol. I looked at him one eyebrow raised, he shrugged before going to offer Remi the second glass. I shot Art a cold glare and he discarded the idea. At some point there was an alert of some intruder as the Twin Horns quickly apprehended the man.

The king had bid on a world lion cub he planned to gift to his son Curtis, who was ecstatic. Remi however let a feeling of discontent leak through our connection.

[What's wrong? Not enjoying yourself?]

{No, it's not that. I just have the feeling that the mage might try and pull something here soon.}

[What makes you say that?] I asked as we watched the mage make a B-Line towards the King. They exchanged a brief string of words before the King motioned for the mage to leave. The mage returning to the table side, eyeing Remi and I warily.

I turned away but noticed Remi side eyeing the hooded man. After a few more moments of us enjoying ourselves, I had thrown a playful tease at Kathyln about her doll like demeanor. Clearly not pleased with something the mage spoke up.

"I will not tolerate any disrespect towards the princess of his majesty." He said tapping the end of his wooden staff to the floor. I looked at Kathlyn who reprimanded the mage instantly.

"Sebastian, at no point did I or my brother take any offense to the playful jabs from Sylvie." She stated, her voice monotone.

"Princess, while I understand that it does not bypass the fact that these children are talking to you as equals. Especially given that this sla-." Sebastian countered as his words were cut short by Curtis and Art as they glared daggers at the mage.

"Please Sebastian sir. Finish that sentence." Remi's voice laced with venom said next to me. "I'm sure anyone one of us would be more than happy to inform your employer of the disrespect you are showing against honored guests of the Helstia's. Those of which were already accepted to be in the presence of his majesty, according to his decree."

The mage instinctively took a step back, Lilia pulling Ellie into an embrace. A second man clad in armor appeared and stood in front of Sebastian. "We will tolerate no follies towards royal guards. Continue and we will answer accordingly." The man said as we each exchanged confused looks.

"Let it be known that your mage was the instigator. We are simply defending ourselves from an abuse of power." Remi stated as a vein was practically ready to burst on the mage's forehead. The armored man unsheathed his sword pointing it towards Remi. Everyone in the room turned in horror as Remi stared down the edge of the blade. He smirked as he pressed on. "I'm sure you know, this thing isn't a toy. One shouldn't be quick to draw unless they're ready to kill or be killed."

The guard held himself back as the king asked what was happening. The guard was quick to place blame but was cut off by Curtis who corrected him. The King turned to Remi waiting for his input to the story. "Sir, your mage has been causing issues ever since your arrival. Numerous times we would catch him glaring at us, he would constantly berate us for interacting with your children and even went so far as to claim that Sylvie is a slave."

"Your highness this is blasphemous. I simply made an educated guess as she bears no resemblance to any adult present." Sebastian stammered.

"Sebastian th-" the king started before being cut off by Remi.

"Well Sebastian, it is quite rude to call someone a slave without any prior knowledge. For a royal guard, I would expect a higher standard of intelligence would be needed. My apologies for your lack of it."

"Enough!" I watched as the armored man took a few steps forward sword in full swing.

{What a hot head.}

The mage behind him just as surprised as everyone else but quickly moved to support his comrade. Art deflected the man's blade and forced his palm into his jaw. The man's head snapped back as his body's momentum reversed. I moved to cancel the mage's spell but realized everything was frozen. Art moved forward unaffected by the spell of his beast will. Sebastian struggled to conjure anything as he stared at Art dumbstruck. Suddenly he crumpled, leg mangled and twisted. He screamed as Art retracted his beast will, stumbling on his feet. I was quick to support him with pure mana.

Remi stepped forward as he glared down at the pair of royal guards. "Do I take it these two guards speak on your behalf King Glayder?"

The king stumbled on his words at first before replying. "No no, if possible I wouldn't have brought them along at all. I must offer my sincere apologies these two will be dealt with accordingly after we are to exit this establishment."

Curtis and Kathlyn watched in awe at the power displayed by Art. They began to question Remi and I about our strengths. We laughed for a bit before pushing them to grow strong themselves.