Ch.12: Motel Madness.

About 20 minutes later, Rose's ADHD kicked in. She was sick of sitting around.

She sighed. No matter how much self-control she had, sitting still for one hour, watching cars on a bridge, made her feel really bored and jittery. 

"So much for one hour of scouting."

She got up and grabbed her camera. She put it on video mode and placed it on the windowsill, leaning against the glass, with a good view of the bridge and, more specifically, the part of the bridge that connected with the mainland.

Like this, she could just go through the video at a fast speed and discern any mysterious activity in less than twenty minutes. She wondered why she hadn't just done that directly.

She left her post and washed her hands. 

She looked around for something to do and her eyes fell on the dark green sword she had placed neatly against the wall.  She frowned. 

She really should've worked on her sword fighting skills more at Camp. 

Having nothing better to do, Rose decided to walk around the motel grounds.

The motel was simple and it wasn't very ornate. The different apartments could be reached with stairs that were fairly close to the walls, leaving a lot of space in the empty courtyard.

The courtyard wasn't anything special either: it had simple, gray, stone, rhombus-shaped tiles, an open roof, and four, gray, square-based columns.

She slowly circled the courtyard a few times, making sure not to step on any of the lines of the stone tiled floor. This was a childhood game she had, and it was much more entertaining than watching cars on a bridge.

"Oh, hello, deary! What are you up to?"

Rose looked up. She saw a friendly old lady walking into the courtyard, holding several, very large and heavy shopping bags. 

"Oh, let me help you with that, ma'am," said Rose. She rushed to the woman and carefully took the bags from her hands. 

"Oh, thank you, deary," said the elderly lady, "my room is right here, on the ground floor."

Rose followed the woman into her apartment and placed the the bags in the small living room. 

"What was a lovely young lady such as yourself doing, pacing in a motel courtyard?" said the woman.

Rose wondered whether or not it was wise to spill the beans to an old lady she barely even knew, but her gut told her it was safe. 

"I was bored, ma'am," she said. "My friends and I are here for one or two nights, for a school project, then we'll go back to our home, in New York."

There was no need to be any more specific than that and, technically, it was a school project since Camp was basically demigod school.

"Hmm," said the old woman. She placed her hat on the table and fixed her white hair in the mirror. "I'm here for one night too."

"How nice."

The old lady sat down at the wooden desk and observed her. 

"Well, come sit down," said the woman. 

Rose sat down in the second wooden chair.

The old woman's piercing blue eyes seemed to read right through her. Rose started feeling embarrassed. 

"Are you familiar with Roman Mythology, deary?"

Rose raised an eyebrow. 

"Uh, not really. I do know that it's essentially a ripoff of Greek Mythology," she replied.