Ch.11: Preparations.

"Should we buy chocolates?" Connor asked his brother, looking at the box in his hand.

"No, they'll just melt. Chocolate cookies will work better," Travis replied.

Connor put the box down.

"So, what was that you were asking me about earlier, in the Labyrinth? About confessing?" Travis asked, counting the number of supplies in their cart.

"Oh, right. So, basically, Rose and I made a bet, and if you confess to Katie before she does, Rose has to go on a date with me," Connor said proudly.

Travis raised an eyebrow. "That's a weird bet."

"Please help me, Trav!" Connor said, pointing at his brother with a box of chocolate cookies. "If she wins the bet, no more pranks for a month! I think it was month, I can't remember."

"Oh yeah those are high stakes. Just ask her out directly! Rose, would you like to grab lunch? It's not that hard!" Travis said.

"You're one to talk," said Connor, dropping the cookies in the cart. "You know you like Katie, and she likes you too."

"That's different, if I ask her directly, she'd definitely say no," Travis said, calmly looking over the row of cranberry and oatmeal bars.

"No, that's the thing!" said Connor. "Katie would definitely say yes to you, Rose wouldn't say yes to me! She's too proud to go out with me."

"Now, you know that's not true," Travis said. "She was wearing your sweater. That's a girl way of saying I like you."

"But Alice and Julia are always stealing our sweaters, and they're our sisters!"

"That's true, but Rose isn't related to you and you two definitely don't have a sibling relationship," Travis said, grabbing some oatmeal bars and dropping them in the cart.

They walked out of the cookies and bars sections and towards the drinks.

"I don't know what we have," Connor said.

"You have a situationship," said Travis.

"Now, don't you start throwing weird Aphrodite words at me," Connor said.

"You're just talking," said Travis. "You gave her your sweater and you fought well together. That's something."

"I guess," Connor said. "Still, please confess, dude. Oh! Did you know that the action movie is actually inspired by the Trojan War?"

"Seriously? How'd you find out?"

"I found a flyer on the bus," Connor said. "People forget all kinds of stuff, I even found this cool broken watch! Either way, we get to point out all the mistakes!"

"I love doing that."

"Maybe we can even prank someone's popcorn!"

- - -

"Ooooh, this is so cute!" Katie said, picking a dark green, cropped sweater from the rack.

Rose grimaced. "Really?"

"Yeah! It would go great with my red skirt! I could make it a Christmas outfit!" 

"You have lots of red and green clothes, why can't you just wear those?" 

"Because... well, that's not the point," Katie said. "Either way, it costs too much." She put it back on the rack.

Rose sighed as Katie went to to look at another rack. 

A very loud "ATCHA!" came from behind her. 

The hair on the back of Rose's neck stood up. Her eye started twitching.